Chiari Malformation Community
5th Grade boy grades suffering

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

5th Grade boy grades suffering

My son has a 16mm Chiari.  He was diagnosed with Dyslexia 6 months before he was diagnosed with Chiari.  We are constantly struggling to get him through school.   He is failing reading and barely passing math.  He is a happy, loving kid.   Is anyone else going through this???

1Sad mom
My children are grown but raisen grandbaby.  I hope and will say a prayer for you and the little guy.  I know what I would feel like if grand baby had this.
I graduated at the top of my high school class and with a 4.0 from college. I entered grad school and started out great. Then, we were in a car accident and I was diagnosed with Chiari and syringomyelia. I have not been able to learn the same since. My husband has AD/HD and dyslexia. He says I am a lot like him now. I constantly read and write and say things backward. I can't imagine being a kid and trying to learn. At least I have a very solid educational foundation to draw experience from.

He needs understanding, but also don't let him use it as a crutch. Give him time, patience, tricks and tips, and practice. But not too much practice at a time. I know I need to do things in short bursts and take breaks. Comprehension is difficult for me now, so re-reading, taking notes, and making connections to other things are strategies I have to use.

Does he like video games? If so, that might help actually strengthen his comprehension and problem solving skills. You can also find skill building practice and games online for many subjects. If he continues struggling, home schooling or virtual school may be a great alternative if it's possible.

Good luck!
Annie
P.S. My 3 kids are home schooled by me and my girls attend two courses online through Florida Virtual School starting this school year. I love it and it has helped a lot with my son. It's definitely not for everyone though ;)

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I know how frustrating it is to have Chiari, but do not know what it is like to be the mom of a child with it...

As for the schooling issues, it is possible for this to affect cognitive abilities....not all with Chiari may have this issue but as a child I too had issues in school.

Please find a true Chiari specialist and see what all is going on and the best treament for ur DS.
I am a pediatric occupational therapist that work in public schools i also have chiari and my recommendation is that you make sure your son has an IEP and is getting the extra support he needs...I work with lots of students with reading and math concerns. Have you had him checked with an ophthalmologist? It can be possible especially with chiari that his eyes do not work well together such as tracking and convergence issues. Even though he has chiari make sure to check other areas and get the right testing completed. My son was on an IEP in the school I work at and he is now doing great he doesn't have chiari but he was able to get the support he needed.