Chiari Malformation Community
8 months post op from Chiari

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

8 months post op from Chiari

Wanted to start off saying that after surgery everything was doing fine considering the surgery. (decompression as well as laminectomy of the 1st and 2nd vertebra). Approx 4 months post op I started get dizzy again if I moved around to much, didn't think much of it, I figured it would go away after awhile.  Well I'm now 8 months post op and nothing has gotten better, in fact I feel it has gotten worse.  I can't work much more than an hour if I'm working physically in the field.  Bending over and standing back up cause a lot of dizziness as well and nausea, so much so I can't do anything for a couple of hours.  I get physically drained from it.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

When did u go back to work and what type of work is it?

It is "normal" to have some symptoms return around 3 months post op as u heal, but it should not progressively get worse.

Have u had a 6 month post op visit? Did u have a dura plasty?

It is possible that u have a leak, or cerebral ptosis...or some other post op  issue that can develop...like ICP or POTS.....

Did ur Drs rule out related conditions b4 u had surgery? Like tethered cord, ehlers-danlos, disk issues, sleep apnea...???

Positional issues could be a leak or POTS...or ICP...so u really need to be seen by ur Dr.....

I went back to work 2 months after surgery and about 1 month after I was readmitted for possible chemical meningitis.  I work on grain bins, climbing and carrying stuff up and down the bins.  I also have what doctors refer to as non-compliance syndrome but in this case I thought I was taking it easy for a long enough period of time, which thinking about it I may have been wrong.

I had my post op in Sept but had an appt in July that I had to cancel due to work (busiest time of year). Yes I had a dura plasty, synthetic (aloderm???)

When i went back for the post op visit the MRI didn't show anything abnormal from what the doctor told me and to be honest I'm not familiar with the other conditions you have mentioned.  My herniation was pretty severe from what I was told, not sure in MM but from what was described to me it was in the neighborhood of 1 to 1 1/2 inches.

How much does the load u carry weigh? we should not lift weight as it can affect our recovery.....I think u may have gone back to work too soon, doing a job that was not right for that time frame.,.....

It is not the size of the herniation that is of concern, but if it is obstructing CSF....did u have a CINE MRI?

I asked about the duraplasty and was going to ask about the patch....bcuz if u have EDS it can cause issues like infections and leaks.....and those with EDS are prone to reject the patch made of foreign matter....

I would suggest u call ur NS and let them know how u r feeling....it could be just the work u r doing...or it could be a related condition cropping up....

thanks for your help. i don't know how you keep up and help everyone. Thanks again

No worries,,,,,

I need to stop and take breaks in what I do during my day and I find helping  rewarding and I continue to learn about how this condition affects us.

I hope u continue to post ur progress here : )
I am about 3 1/2 months post op and boy is it tough, I am a mom to four kid-o's a 7,3,1 yr old and not to mention I found out about my chiari a week after having my almost 6 month old. I read posts and I feel for you guys because I know how some of that feels, the going crazy part for me was and is that my 3 yr old has this as well! I knew exactly what I had when they said its name because two years prior my son had his first surgery at the age of 1 1/2, I went crazy not knowing why he cried in pain even in his sleep and barfing during his crying just to find out he needed surgery. And I still go crazy cause I know that he must feel things he can't tell me about because he also has other problems that make it harder for him. He has hydrocephalus as well which has added another 6 brain surgeries and a total of 5 other surgeries and a vp shunt.  So fight for relief well as much as you can get and know that it's great to see so many people getting help.

Hi and welcome Back !

So glad to hear from u again....sorry it is so rough, but so many children to tend to the stress alone could trigger symptoms even as u heal...it takes time....and some develop issues post op .

Do keep us posted on ur progress and ur DS that also has Chiari....

U r so right we have to push for answers and not let Drs push us around : )