Chiari Malformation Community
A few queries...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

A few queries...

Was just wondering a few a things!
   Once you've been decompressed do you still have chiari, and do precautions still apply?
   What happens if you need to have a second decompression?
   And do you still have chiari if you tonsils have receded after decompression?
   What's recommended when it comes to roller coasters?
Thank you!!

Hi...the restrictions and or precautions still apply and u do still have Chiari as it is not the herniation but a malformation of the skull.....only the herniation is  addressed as well as making room for CSF flow....but they can not change the way ur skull is shaped.....a roller coaster could cause the herniation to re-herniate if in fact urs  has retracted....some retract but usually not that much....I know I still had a 2mm and 3mm herniation....

Plus how u feel and heal will also rely on ne related conditions u may have as well.
Thank you, my tonsils haven't retracted or not that I know of, was just curious!

Well some do retract some...but not always completely....

And it is better to try and avoid many of those activities as u will be able to heal .....and even once u heal u may find they still trigger symptoms even after u have been feeling well....we all have to listen to our bodies and do what we feel is best for us.