Chiari Malformation Community
A wrestler with a 5mm projection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

A wrestler with a 5mm projection

I had my 13 year old son at the emergency room today because he has a soft spot in his parietal region of his head. It concerned me even more when his pcp told me to go to local children's er.  They did a ct of his head and sent him home.  Nothing of major concern just watch and wait til it goes away.  In reading the ct report I see he has a  projection of his right cerebellar tonsil 5mm below his foramen magnum.  He does experience severe headaches, but since I suffer from cluster migraines, we assumed it was heredity.  In reading and researching I have become quite concerned.  Please help me educate myself.  He is a wrestler, does he need to stop?  I live in Youngstown Ohio any specialists around here

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

If it were me, I would say yes, not to allow the wrestling as it can make symptoms worse....and this can be hereditary so u may want to get a MRI too.
There are Chiari Drs at CC, and I do not know what part of Ohio that is, but there is a Dr in Pittsburgh, PA too....
Use the list of Drs in  our Health Pages to research as to which ones treat children and  also work with ur ins,

Educate urself  on Chiari and chiari related conditions as it is very important that he is checked for all related issues  as they can play a role in how he would feel and heal if he were a surgical candidate.

U ask the questions and we will do our best to help educate u : )

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186
is a 5mm projection bad?
I had a 5mm to 7 mm hernination, but as many will tell you on this is that it is not the lenght that matters, but the width of it and where it lays.  Mine was shaped as a cone so I wasn't getting CSF flow in the head.  I totally agree with Selma with the wrestling because this could cause more damage.  I know how difficult this can be for you son, but we only want what is best for our kids.  Wishing you the best, and Selma will direct you for the info you need for the Dr. directory.  Wishing you the best with this for you and your son, but know you have found a good site for love, support and information.
Linda :)

It is not the size of herniation, but if it is causing a CSF obstruction...what symptoms u have and how it is affecting ur overall health...some can have a 13mm hernoiation with no symptoms or issues, while a 3mm herniation is causing more problems....

5mm is the critera most Drs use to classify chiari, but it does not mean someone with a smaller herniation may not be affected more...and it also does not mean that it is safe either....

Find a true Chiari specialist...restrict his activities  and go from there.
zomblvr uploaded new photos
May 22
zomblvr joined this community
Welcome them!
May 22
Ball123 commented on The more intense you ...
May 22