Advice from surgery veterans please
I have been diagnosed with Chiari Type I.  Symptoms are very annoying but not yet debilitating.  My fatigue and other symptoms are worsening, but I still can go to work every day and although it is difficult I can do most of the things that I want to do.  Numbness, dizziness, fatigue, brain fog , clumsy hands,etc.  I have mild headaches but not the terrible headaches that some report.  Given that I can still function, should I be considering surgery?  I know that there are many risks with the surgery and I am not sure if I should be considering it now, or should I wait until it gets to the point where I have no choice?  I have seen a neurosurgeon and at this point I am to come back for surgery when I feel the symptoms are to that point or it they worsen substantially.  I would be very interested in opinions from those who have been through it.  Would you go through the surgery if you can still lead a somewhat normal life? or would you wait?  Thanks,

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

B4 u consider surgery u have to know how ur Chiari is affecting u and ur overall health. Even tho ur symptoms may not be as bad as some others, u still need testing to see just what is going on....

A CINE MRI to see if u have a CSF obstruction, more MRI's to rule out syringomyelia, disk issues, tethered cord,ICP, POTS, ehlers-danlos,

U will be able to decide if u need surgery depending on the results of the testing and the guidance of a Chiari specialist...

U will know if and when u need surgery once u do the above.....not all of us need it , or right when we r DX'd it is best to take ur time....but know it is possible for symptoms to increase , just as it is for them to remain as they are....so educate urself, find the right Drs and know u r not alone.