Chiari Malformation Community
Alopecia, hypothyroidism, and Chiari Malformation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Question, Has anyone linked Hypothyroidism and Alopecia (spots of hairloss) with Chiari Malformation? I have a little brother who was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation and had the surgery (decompression, and fusion of C1-C2) at 16 years old. He just recently (at 21 years old) was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and Alopecia. The steroid shots are not helping the alopecia, and he has been put on Synthroid. I am trying to help him figure things out with the Alopecia. Doctors just keep giving him the steroid injections but after a year NOTHING has gotten better. Any information would be truly appreciated. Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Yes, many with Chiari have a auto immune thyroid condition called Hashimoto's.....this is often missed as many Drs only test TSH and they can result in "normal" levels...we need to have in addition to TSH , Free T3 and free T4 and TPO antibodies,

An ultra sound of the thyroid is helpful too.

Many thyroid issues can cause a loss of hair or alopecia.

Even the surgery itself may have a temp loss of hair as this is a trauma to the body.

I know that steroids should not be a long term solution as it is not good ....r the Drs  true Chiari specialists?.
There is no link between hypothyroidism and Chiari mentioned in any medical journal or medical website. All comments are ancedotal. That isn't a bad thing however, as there is over a decade of ancedotal comments of the conviction that statin drugs (cholesterol lowering drugs) caused high blood sugar and type 2 diabetes.  Last year the FDA ordered a black box warning for all statin drugs: risk of memory loss, confusion, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes. Never say never but for now it's a maybe/maybe not.
I meant high blood sugar not high blood pressure. An edit button would be nice right now. :)