Chiari Malformation Community
Anxious person , seeing a neurosurgeon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Anxious person , seeing a neurosurgeon

Hey guys had a MRI a couple days ago results show low lying cerebral tonsils so I looked it up and here I am. Doctor said it was mild wouldn't tell me an exact mm though. Also apparently it showed up on one I had in 2013 as well. I went for this one cause I've been dizzy,headaches, tingling and numbness among other things. My question is my symptoms are pretty sever but my general doctor said it was mild. Though he admitted it wasn't his area of expertise he referred me to a neurosurgeon. But if its mild why such sever symptoms? Does it not matter as much? I don't know I'm generally a very anxious person and thought I finally had an answer to my symptoms but if it's mild not sure how it could cause these things. Everyone on here seems very helpful and knowledgeable so figured I'd ask. Thank you in advance for any help
And I have some difficulty swallowing as well
Those symptoms you describe having are all Chiari symptoms. And I have read that the number of mm that the tonsils descend does not always indicate the severity of the condition. Depending on where you live, there is a posted list of Chiari surgeons. I hope one is in your proximity. Your pain is very real, no matter how severe or mild someone may think. I hope you can get some real information that helps with your search. Check back on this forum to see if there's any more help you can get when you get more information. You are heard. You are not alone.
Hey there..where is the list of ns located?
Hi there,  please dont listen to the doc that said its mild.  He or she may think its mild due to how far herniated but a true specialists knows better.  Make sure you see a chiari specialist as a neuro surgeon as well.  Some say they know but you want someone who does a lot of the surgeries and tests for all the other fun stuff that can co exist with chiari.  Do,your due diligence and keep,learning about this.  You will eventually know more than a lot of medical people.  

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum .

We do have  a list  and it  can be located using  the search this community  feature on the top of  this forum...or you can  scroll  thru  the pages of  threads....which is not fun,....here is a link   to the  Health Pages....http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological%20Disorders/DOCTORS-LIST-FOR-CHIARI-SYRINGOMYELIA/show/1062?cid=186

This  list is not a referral  nor an endorsement for  those listed on it.....this is  meant to  be used  as a tool  to  research Drs.....Not all  on the list may  be  true  Chiari   specialists but did  treat a  member  here,.....

As  for  a  Dr referring to  Chiari   as mild by looking at a MRI  to give  this term...frustrates  and  angers me,......

Even your  symptoms  may  feel  severe  to  you, but  my  medical  standards may  not  be considered  severe....

A NS is  the Dr   to  go to...BUT   one that specializes in Chiari   and related conditions,....and then  ONLY  IF  you have  a CSF  leak......surgery  is done  to restore CSF  flow  and   slow  progression of a syrinx...
Does anyone's headaches feel like they have a sinus infection? When all this new stuff originally started 2 months ago that's what the doc thought it was but he put me on 3 antibiotics and pain is still here so I'm wondering can chiari cause that as well? Sorry might be a dumb question
Hi.,
This is not a dumb question .,you can comfotably ask this question.

Sinus troubles be it infections or headaches or allergic rhinitis sort of symptoms are quite common to persons having chiari .I have had this input from quite a few chiarians when i had ( internet )convo with them .    

you can try home remedies as suitable and comfortable to you (for example  like drinking ginger tea etc) and see if it atleast lessens .,

I agree  not  a dumb  question at all.....when we consider where the sinuses are located it is no wonder they are affected by the overcrowding caused by Chiari....

A new study indicates  many with Chiari have Ehlers-Danlos and those with Ehlers-Danlos over produce histamines...which  can cause post nasal drip...and in turn cause reflux.

Talk to your  Dr  and see if  antihistamines help.
I've had chronic sinus issues since around 2008. Have had 2 sinus surgeries and have been on every antibiotic. Also constantly feel some post nasal drip and have had heartburn and reflux for awhile as well.
I have dizziness and boy do I have anxiety. My weak side is my right side only sometimes like when I drive my main reason for having MRI was for headaches. I have had trouble swallowing on some occasions but its weird that sometimes when I chew it makes me dizzy. I also had an episode of numbness on my right side I thought was a stroke. I don't suffer from headaches as much as I was before now more dizziness and I hate when my head feels numb it scares me. I just feel that at any moment I could just pass out and that's what scares me the most. I am still able to work and do house work, but I hate to drive now.