Chiari Malformation Community
Are MRI's created equal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Are MRI's created equal?

Can anyone tell me if all MRI's are created equal?  I'm suppose to have another brain MRI and my local neuro asked me if I wanted to have it locally, or at the location my chiari specialist is at 4 hours away.  

Hi...no they r all diff....magnifications can be diff....u may want to ask ur NS what type machine he prefers and what settings and slices ...so it is more directed to the area he wants to view.

"selma"
if you've not had the surgery yet, you might want to use the one your surgeon is used to.  makes it easier for him/her as they are used to the equipment and radiologist there.
just a thought...
elizabeth
And open MRIs are generally not as strong as closed, but they've come a long way. I can't do closed. I'm claustrophobic to the extreme. I actually made it 45 mins in a closed machine last Summer, but I'm too big, too broad-shouldered, so I couldn't lie totally flat and my shoulders and neck started cramping up really bad. That, coupled with my anxiety, plus needing to be in there for almost another hour, did me in. I had to get out, reschedule in an open MRI. My neuro was pissed. He wanted closed. I tried, but couldn't do it. He was a jerk.
I second that

Here a local hospital did the brain mri my NS first seen. He wasn't too alarmed at all. DX but more or less said no big deal. This because of the placement of an arachnoid cyst and some nuclear testing done on the cyst they ordered another MRI this one was done at CCF. I'm not trained but even I can see the difference in clarity. The NS wanted to operate immediately after seeing the second MRI.

For that reason I'd agree with the other poster... use one that your NS is familar with reading. With one exception - the NS who ordered my the first brain MRI is well known in this area. Neither he [who is used to this inferior image] nor the CCF NS could see the compression of the brain stem in the first mri. So if your NS is 'used' to a rinky dink small town MRI... I'd go elsewhere anyway. JMO

Wolf
Mine was done closed with their pathetic attempt at "sedation".  What a joke.....I made it thtough it, despite the fact that they had to keep redoing it because i was having muscle spasm so severe that it kept screwing up the images.  My question is.....do you need contrast to really get a handle on the herniation and possible csf buildup? For some reason my radiologist refused to do mine with contrast because I am severely allergic to tomatoes (anaphylaxis) despite the fact that I have had contrast numerous times without incidence.
The MRI's can be done at diff magnifications,....and a good NS reads the MRI's himself and does not go by what the radiologist report says.

Contrast lights up the smaller veins and vessels helping to see what is going on.....but the CINE also uses a clip on ur finger to see if ur CSF pulsates with ur BP.....this is an indication that u indeed have a blockage.
Thank you.  I actually visited my local hospital and talked with an MRI tech today.  He said the MRI was 1.5 T (?).  I emailed my Chiari specialist and asked him if he recommended that I come have the MRI there, but I didn't get back to me yet.

I have never had a CINE MRI.  Should I have one?  My Chiari specialist said he didn't do them.  This surprised me.  

I was looking a my T-spine MRI and it had a clear side view of my brain and neck.  I came across this picture that looks like a finger is extended down below my foramen magnum.  I probably misspelled that!  The picture my Chiari specialist showed me was not as bad, my tonsils were not that low.  Could I be seeing something that is not there?  

I asked my husband to look at the picture and tell me what he sees.  Without pointing anything out to him, he said, "what is that long thing hanging there"?  Should I bring this up to my Neuro, or would they have noticed this?
It is diff as we r not drs to explain, but, if u can upload ur MRI's after u remove pertinent info using photo shop...we can take a look and let u know what we do know from viewing our MRI's with out drs...What u r seeing could be a syrinx...I have no idea.

Not all NS do the CINE..I am not sure y.....mine did.

Ur NS should go over all MRI's with u to explain what is going on.If not Ask!

"selma"
mine sent me to one location - and has asked that i go back to the same one every time so our results are as accurate and consistent as possible!!  Also - that way all your records are at one location!!
How do I upload one of my MRI pictures?  
Hello again.  If you go to my photos, I added the MRI picture I'm questioning.  I hope it's clear enough.  If anyone here sees the finger like object below my foramen magnum, please comment.  You have to look close, because part of the herniation is somewhat shaded.  
Thank you!
Hey Selma, When they do the CINE mri and put that thing on your finger to check if there is a blockage, well can the blockage make it feel like you can feel your pulse in the back of your head?
I tried to read through of all of this....so I'm not sure if someone said this already... Even if all MRI's are equal, Radiologists are definitely not!!!!! That is what I found in my experience, so you would be better off getting it done somewhere that specializes in dx'ing Chiari!

Good luck!
Carolyn