Chiari Malformation Community
BRAIN MRI RESULT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

BRAIN MRI RESULT

I am a 24 yr old female and I just got MRI Results of my Brain and the tech said I have Minimal Congenital Low Lying Tonsils. She said she did not know what that meant and I would have to wait for my follow up appt with my neurologist in 2 weeks! I have a history of migraines and headaches back since middle school. Last two months I have had dizziness, nausea, bad headaches, a feeling of unsteadiness everyday. I went to an eye doctor an and ENT and both gave good normal results. I had an EEG which came back normal...What is Minimal Congenital Low Lying Tonsils??? Should I be worried!?
It sounds like you came to the right place, you need to know how low lying they are, if they are more than 3 mm it could be chairi malformation, your symptoms fit. Call the imaging center and ask to speak with the radiologist to see how low lying they are. Even if they are not 3 mm, some dr. will do a verticle mri  to see if the herniation increases. Look at the list of specialists for chairi on the health pages, chances are you can deliver the mri to a specialist, have them look at it and tell them your symptoms to have them determine whether further testing needs to be done. Please keep us posted and updated and welcome to the forum.
Thank you Jenniferk86 for your response! :)

Hi and welcome to the chiari forum.

Jennifer is 1/2 right....once u know if u have chiari, the length is used to help classify it, but is not a true indication if u have chiari or not, as chiari is the malformation of the skull no the herniation that results bcuz of the malformed skull being too small.
The symptoms u present r similar to chiari symptoms....but u do need more testing....a CINE MRI to check for a CSF obstruction, MRI's of ur cervical spine, thoracic and lumbar spine to rule out a syrinx. U also want to rule out the possibility of other related conditions like Ehlers-Danlos, sleep apnea, intra cranial hypertension, cranial instability, .......

It is possible if u have a related condition and u do not know b4 surgery (if u r a surgical candidate) it can affect the outcome with possible set backs.

Here is the link to the drs list- u want to research all drs as the list is not meant as a referral.....http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological%20Disorders/DOCTORS-LIST-FOR-CHIARI-SYRINGOMYELIA/show/1062?cid=186

"selma"
Thank you for your input Selma, I will def take what you said into consideration. thanks again. :)
Hello and welcome.  Sorry that you have gotten this news.  All of us here do understand.  I spent a few days crying when I first got my diagnosis.  Neway, the new literature is clear that the size of the herniation isnt important as much as whether there is crowding or CSF blockage.  If the tonsils are less than 5mm most times it is referred to as Chiari Zero.  As Selma mentioned you will need those additional tests run.  Finding a specialist that focuses his practice on this disease is the single most important things you can do.  

Good luck and keep us posted!
Pam
Thank you Pam!!
ok so I called back the MRI tech and she said my report says that my tonsils are 0.4 cm which is 4 mm long. Hopefully I am in the clear...

4mm can still create an issue....my herniation was 4mm on one side and 6 mm on the other...I am not sure what u mean by in the clear???

"selma"
Hey Selma, how come your measured dffrently either side? i've never heard of having diffrent sizes? xxx

hope everyones ok, sorry havn't been on here in a while it's been a mental few months x
In the clear as in...hopefully I wont need surgery and this will be an easy fix...I mean I am not well educated on what exactly is going on ..I havent even had my follow up appt yet with my neurologist but I am just thinking that being my MRI was 2 weeks ago and I have anotehr  almost 2 weeks before my appt that its not so serious or I would have been called in earlier.

By nature we r asymmetrical...and many times the radiologists and NS's only report the longer tonsils, but more than half with chiari have 2 diff measurements.

TrayPo...Oh I understand, and depending on ur symptoms u may be one they will only want to watch.....as I have said many times b4, just having chiari and a herniation does not mean u r a surgical candidate.

Please keep us posted
   "selma"
Hi Tayla long time since we spoke, how you doing honey!!!!!

Im like selma my tonsils are longer on the right, going to ask about exactly how much when I go again as my probs are more on the right than the left?????

Hugs
Niki x x
My tonsils are herniated more on the right side, also...8mm. I can't remember exactly what the left side measurement is (shocking, right?!?! LOL!). But, I have more problems on the right side. That's not to say, however, that I don't have any issues on my left side. Regardless, there is crowding all around which is causing restricted CSF flow, so the doc scheduled surgery. But, it's interesting to hear that most people are longer on the right! Hmmm.