Chiari Malformation Community
Bad nerve pain after blood patch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Bad nerve pain after blood patch

Hi everyone. Thanks for the prayers. I had my blood patch Wednesday morning  and am laying down now in a hotel for two days in hopes that it takes and that it went into the right spot. I'm very hopeful! Strange thing though. Never had this before and I've had over ten patches. I have severe zinging nerve pain on the outside of both legs and on the inside. This only happens when I start to stand up or sit down or when I am relaxing from bearing down in the rest room. How do I say that nicely?!? It feels like I'm being shot with a  taser but with a lower  voltage. It hits sharp and hard but goes away quickly. Since I am on bed rest except for the bathroom I don't know how much other activity will bring it on. Anyone else out there have this? They hit some nerves going in so I am assuming they are aggravated and will heal in time but it's enough to start to double me over. I have talked to the doctors office and they want me to continue staying down and see if it gets better and call and check in every day.

Hi...at this point u should not be bearing down, get a stool softener...that should help a bit with that....

The rest could be the leak....and u want to stay flat as much as possible....and keep hydrated....so plenty of fluids....I know not much in help to staying flat as u have to get up to go,...lol...

Get the stool softener and see if it helps.
I highly suggest milk of magnesgia.  It helps a lot and it's the most natural out there.  You don't want to strain.  Keep laying and taking it easy.  Prayer for the best for you.
Linda :)
Thanks for your input. I had started a stool softener soon after the patch. Yesterday that nerve pain disappeared!! I didn't describe it quite right. It was when I was urinating and just relaxed those muscles.  But all is well with those nerves. We traveled back home yesterday. The pressure held in my head so we are on the right track!!
The doctor thinks that my last few leaks are coming from sudden jars or falls that tug and tear a small hole making it leak. the scar tissue from surgeries inside the cord and myelograms have formed a great amount of scar tissue. Will take it easy this week and use my 'picker upper' tool so I don't bend and strain that area. These are just to be extra cautious because of my track record. Hard to do so close to Christmas!  
    Should get about eight inches of snow tonight! Yeah, bring it on!  Thanks for all your prayers! I'm loving the devotional book Jesus Today and Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. Here's to hope and joy for all of you today!