Ball park on cost of surgery?
Okay so I am sure that this question varies a TON on how extensive the surgery is and who does it... but I have no clue on the cost of the surgery is it closer to a million dollars before insurance kicks in or are we talking more like $60,000? I am totally putting the cart before the horse here but I have been seriously thinking about quiting my (good paying) job to spend more time with my daughter especially with how bad I feel... our insurance should cover 90% but I was trying to make sure that even with that I would not be left with some huge bill that would force me to keep working a $6,000 bill after insurance I can do a $60,000 bill... I need to keep dragging myself to work:)
for a 3 3/4 hr. operation, 6.5 day hospital stay, lots of meds, therapist, drs bills....all inclusive, after my medicare paid their 80%, i had about 4,000.00 or less in bills.  but please keep in mind that i had my surgery in wisconsin and their medicare rates are among the lowest in the country, so that helped alot!!!
I went to NY and the NS's do not participate in Insurance so I had 30,000 in bills after my insurance covered....so I am still paying....but many of the drs accept what u can afford to give and can work with u...we only paid half and no longer get a bill????....not sure y.....just happy : )

"selma"
I have insurance, and my dr was in network. So my toato was roughly $460.00 for everything. I think it depends on what type of insurance you have, what your deductible is and if you have met that before surgery
Keep in mind that most plans have whats known as a "max out of pocket" that is most you can pay out of pocket before your plan covers 100% per calender year.  Refer to your plan documents for this feature.  Lots of times the amount is double for out of network providers.  AND if the doctors dont participate then they can balance bill you the difference between the allowable and what they charge.  Hope this helps.  

Pam
I was wondering the same thing.  My chiari Dr is recommending the surgery.  I meet w him in 2 weeks for more mris and to discuss it further.  My acupuncturist today told me I need to think more and plan for the coverage of the surgery etc.  Don't know how I could plan or if WC, MVA, or regular insurance would cover it or how much.  I was hurt 2 times so they both already argue they're not at fault that I was born with it although had no problems before I was hurt.  My head hurts so much I can't think.  Any further updates on your surgery, costs, etc?

Hi...this all depends on ur Dr and the hospital u go to...u would be best advised to contact the billing dept to see if they r in network with ur insurance and  then contact ur ins as we all have to get pre cert  for surgery to see what is  and what is not covered.

This will give u a better idea as to what it will cost.

"selma"
i went to ny and my insurance covered everything.. i ended up paying the rest of my max out of pocket, which is $1,000.. and i was told that the monitoring and ns wouldnt be covered by my ins, but it was so my actual bill for the surgery hospital stay of 6 days n ns only cost me 700 or so.

i would do as selma said and contact billing and your ins.