Chiari Malformation Community
Baseball hits back of neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Baseball hits back of neck

I am 57 years old I had decompress suregery when I turned 50. I have had recently a series of what feels like someone hitting me in the back of my neck. (Around where I had the decompress surgery for Chiari). It just feels awful for a few seconds. Sometimes it cause my right arm to go numb. Sometimes it causes it to shake.
These eposides (sp) no real reason when they happen. At first I thought I had a pinch nerve. But then when it feel like that and it last for a few seconds. Don't know. It's been going on for a few weeks now. My one concern... can Chiari come back after decompress suregery? I know sometimes symptoms can return. I have a small lump on the back of my neck where they took out the water. It scares me cause I know they can not go back and decompress it again. Please help.. I live in Indy. And so far the Doctors I have seen for Chiair..Could care less about Chiari.

Hi...as far as I understand it, Chiari does not go away with surgery, some symptoms may...and yes they may come back...

I do not understand ur comment that they can not do the decompression again, I know some that have been decompressed several times....so it can be done....

Symptoms can come back due to cerebral slump, scar tissue and several other issues...
when was ur last MRI?

"selma"
My last MRI was a year ago. They found some kind of bone spur or left over tissue in that area. I don't think they got it all. And I was told they can't remove all of it.

Thank you for comfirming that the symptoms can return. I swear it's like it's happening all over again. Now when I have them it's beginning to make my walking harder.

I don't like any of the Nero... here in Indy on the southside. The ones I have gone to don't understand Chiari.. or care to understand. I have an appointment on Thursday with my family Doctor. I hope we can get an MRI schedule soon. Janelle

Good luck with ur PCP and the MRI.....

If u can travel, ur best option would be to go to where a chiari dr is....

"selma"
I was finally set up with a nerogolist who understands Chiari. I have the appointment next month. Somedays I almost feel normal... others I do not feel well at all.

I have other heatlh issues going on..... Thyroid, Low Calcium and Diabetes.

These symptomes of baseball hits in the back of my neck. No rhythm or reason when they happen. I have been standing in line to check out at a grocery store...... It happens...

I just hope this new Doctor can get give me back some quality of life. Happy 4th to everyone. Be safe.

Sending u good vibes that this Dr will work for u too !!

Many of us with chiari do have thyroid issues, Hashimoto's to be exact...and those of  us with  EDS do have mal-absorption issues for vitamins and minerals.

The good days , bad days is bcuz of the way chiari symptoms cycle.....we always enjoy the good days and try not to over do, or we get more bad days after.....

U have a nice 4th of July Holiday too : )

"selma"