Basilar Invagination
I am wondering if someone has Basilar Invagination do they also have Chiari Malformation? I have tried to look this info up on the internet but I haven't found much. Thanks in advance :)

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Some can have one or both.....but BI symptoms r very similar to Chiari so it can be difficult to know without testing.
For those that do not know what BI is-

Basilar invagination occurs when the top of the C2 vertebrae migrates upward. It can cause the opening in the skull where the spinal cord passes through to the brain (the foramen magnum) to narrow. It also may press on the lower brainstem.
Thank you :)
How do they test for it?  Doesn't it usually occur if you have a retroflexed odontoid?
I had surgery on Aug 28th this year.  I fell a year ago, and the injury to my head cause basilar invagination, which in turn caused the Chiari.  I had decompression surgery for the Chiari, and two rods and four screws to hold my C spine straight, so it wouldn't tip back into my brain stem the way it wass.  you can see basilar invagination on your MRI.  Mine was pretty obvious.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Thank u for sharing ur info and what u know in reference to BI.....And u r right a retroflexed odontoid or BI is seen on a MRI.....

How r u doing post op? All ur issues were acquired?....We do not get many that have acquired Chiari...many have the symptoms triggered by an accident or fall....

@Dicon

BI and a retroflexed Odontoid r much the same....Basilar invagination is a developmental anomaly of the craniovertebral junction in which the odontoid abnormally prolapses into the foramen magnum. It is often associated with other osseous anomalies of the craniovertebral junction. Basilar invagination is also associated with neural axis abnormalities, including Chiari malformation, syringomyelia, syringobulbia, and hydrocephalus. Patients frequently present with neurologic symptoms and deficits and warrant surgical treatment to prevent progression.
I had both chiari 2 and basilar invagination. There is very little research on it, but there is a great article by Dr. Rekate I believe available in google books. I believe it will come up if you google Dr. Rekate basilar invagination.
hi sweetboyroy...i had decompresseion surgery and might have fusion surgery in the beginning of next year.can u tell me how u feel now? i have also signs my c2 is to close to brainstem plus craniocervical instability...could u tell me how u feel after fusion and u cope with the moving restriction? do u feel better now?
I also have basilar invagination and have been unable to find info on it, thanks for the defnition selma :)
I have just been diagnosed with BI with Chiari 1 after an MRI from 9 seizures I had. I was discharged from hospital after 6 days, the doc said I would be reviewed by the neurosurgeons in an MDT meeting. I have severe kneck and back pain and it feels like there is a vice squashing the back of my head. The doctors have not told me anything. Is this normal for this conditions. Would be very greatful if anyone could help.

Thank You

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

BI is also known as retroflexed odontoid....or a kinked brain stem....many with Chiari also have this...and may also be Dx'd with Ehlers-Danlos....

The symptoms u describe r not uncommon for those with these dx's.....

U deff want a Chiari specialist...there is a list for the UK for the Ann Conroy Trust, u still should research the Drs, but this gives u a starting point....http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186
Can BI be caused by a Chiari? Can a person with a Chiari develop a BI as the Chiari progresses or is BI more likely to occur at birth or after head trauma?

It is more of a congenital  issue or related to Ehlers-Danlos....