Breakthrough chiari moment
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share something that happened last night. I've been experiencing stronger than normal head pressure, ear fullness, throat and swallowing issues, and most recently dizziness and drops in blood pressure. For the past year my throat has been so dry at night I would awaken gagging (never had this problem before). In the past eight months I've developed acid reflux issue (didn't know what heart burn was eight months ago). Well, when laying in bed last night, my ears ( or what felt like my ear -chiari herniation?)., popped open for about fifteen minutes. Immediately, more saliva entered my mouth. I noted how much more air I was getting in. I was able to breath without force (also felt like I wasn't getting enough air in at night recently). I was able to get air into my lungs so much more easily, it was heavenly!  The pressure in my head was relieved and I liayed flat for a few minutes.

I just think this proves how the pressure of chiari can close off not only fluids, but air and blood supply as well.

I will follow up here with my MRI that I am scheduled to have shortly. I really hope an NS reads this for all our sakes. Thanks, H

It is a known fact that Chiari can affect breathing....as we need to rule out Sleep apnea.....since you said you gag, do get tested for this....

I would also suggest you get tested for over producing histamine which can cause reflux.....

Were you tested for Ehlers-Danlos.?
Hi Selma,  no, I haven't been tested for that. I do know that I should as I've seen you mentioning that before. Good to know. I don't believe I have those issues but would definitely get checked before a surgery!  I am still so surprised how much everything, including swollowing, improved for those few minutes. I believe the herniation is affecting the flow of everything. That explains the chronic sinusitis that just developed in the last year. It just all makes sense now. I guess it's a relief just to understand it somewhat. Thanks for your reply.

CSF flow is one reason for surgery as surgery is done to restore flow....one Dr told me when CSF flow is interrupted...it is like flipping a light switch off....everything can stop no matter how brief a time it is....which is what lead me to my DX as I had a drop attack as a result of  one such CSF restriction.

I had swallowing issue too and had the swallow study, but since there was no obstruction causing it, nothing could be determined other then it must be a neuro issue..aka Chiari.

If you have EDS ....we tend to over produce histamines and can cause all sorts of isseues....

When you look at the fact that all the nerves are affected as it is our spine and brain stem that is affected and it is those areas that control all of our body's functions...so it will affect everything our body does.
Thanks for the info - you're always so helpful! Maybe I should look into EDS, but I also have a broken nose with a deviated septum. It has been this way for 42 years though, never causing post nasal drip.(maybe I shouldn't say never but not a big issue. Maybe the dryness I have now is exacerbating the issue).  My sinuses were never inflamed and I never had mucas/breathing problems. This is why I truly believe the blockage of saliva and airflow must be the cause. I am ok during the day. It is only when I lay down at night that everything gets blocked up. The ear pressure is unbearable and suddenly I can't breath enough air in. I always catch myself taking really deep breaths to get the oxygen I need. Two weeks ago I was laying flat without a problem. I will call my NU today, not scheduled to see him until April. I don't know the seriousness (emergency??) of all of this since it is so new.

Also rule out obstructive sleep apnea....as it could be an issue as well.

Try to elevate the head of your bed to see if it helps with the breathing issues....

Let us know what you find out from your Dr.