Chiari Malformation Community
Burning between shoulder blades

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Burning between shoulder blades

Does anyone know the cause of the burning feeling between the shoulder blades?  Sometimes it runs from the back of my neck and then down my back.  

Hi...not sure as those with chiari experience this as well as those with just a syrinx....it must be the nerves that r affected with the syrinx.

For chiari all the nerves r involved with a compression to the brain stem...and since that is the control center it sends signals out and  for some reason it targets that area.

I remember when my DD was an infant trying to hold her to feed her was a nightmare of pain...I had no idea back then...I was 25...dx'd at 48....Drs always told me anxiety...stress....etc....bunk....the herniation of the cerebral tonsils is in the neck...all the muscles tighten up and this affects the range of motion of the neck , plus the connecting area the shoulders and the shoulder blades....this is JMHO.

"selma"
Well, I certainly have it.  It intensifies when I bend over or flex or jar my spine, such as in being in a bumpy car or walking fast.  I have a syrinx in that area and I have been told that is the cause.  My syrinx is bulbous and large and i suppose it is bouncing against the bones in my spinal column when I move or bounce at all causing the extra bursts of pain.  Like you, sometimes it runs up my back or into my shoulders.  

Have you had an MRI?

Along with neck pain, burning between the shoulder blades is my big pain area. I don't have the typical headache chiari pain. However, I do have a bulging disc at C 6-7, so that probably contributes to the pain in the shoulder area. Everything in that area is just a mess though, I'm sure the chiari is messing up the nerve signals, CSF flow, muscle tightness, etc. I do not have a syrinx.
Thanks everyone!  It's what I suspected I guess -- I haven't seen the NS yet to see if I have a sprinx.  This is just so scary.  I have only known about this for two months and the symptoms seem to be strengthening especially in the back of my neck and shoulders.  It is not really a pain though, just a strong tightness or discomfort.  One of the weirdest things that has happened, though, is my Chiari Headaches have stopped, the ones that come from the neck and down your back.  My neurologist said to not look a gift horse in the mouth.  He's right, of course, but it is strange.
I have had the pain between the shoulders too. Burning at first, and then after the birth of my daughter for about 6-8 months, terrible pain, especailly when I would lay flat on my back at night. Finally, after some chiro and a massage, and time, it went away. It is starting to come back some though. So yeah .... I think it is related. I don't really have the headaches either, not all of the time anyway. Keep plugging away until you find the answers you are looking for.
I have excrutiating pain in my left shoulder blade. It comes and goes. But it gets so bad it hurts to breathe. This is what led to my chiari diagnoses
Oh yes it is worse when I have to hold my arms up (work).  I always thought I was getting pinched nerves before I knew I had chiari.
But why the shoulder blade? O dont get why it bothers me so much and then i cant move my left arm and my twi fingers tingle
I am sure it is the nerves ... They are crazy things.  My body gets electric buzzing feeling all over.  It is so bad that I no longer can feel my cell on vibrate lol.
I also have osteoarthritis and disc problems which I hear is common...could be that...or csf flow...hmm Selma what is it lol

Did u get a dx of GERD? That is often something those with Chiari also have to contend with....

It can affect breathing , cause heart palps,....so the pain in ur shoulder could be related to this.

"selma"
I have the burning and electric thing too :/ All the way from my neck down to my mid back. It happens everyday when I do the dishes or if I pick up one of my children, or mop.

Rylanesmom....i get that buzzing thing tooooooo! I am always reaching fo rmy cell thinking it is vibing. UGH
I used to and now I don't even notice the phone...I look and see missed calls

That vibrating and electric pains r chiari / nerve related.....
Oh i have that electric buzzing feeling all over my body too.i feel like my body is an earthquake...
Yes i do have gerd. It used to be bad. But im careful of what i eat now, not to flare it.  I was not aware that could cause shoulder blade pain. But makes sense cause the pain goes right thru to my chest and stomach
Thank you. Could you be my dr? Lol
I get a tingly, "pins & needles" kind of sensation around my left shoulder blade.  It starts in one tiny spot and radiates out. Wierd...It usually happens when I am at my desk at work and it happens about once a day.  This is a fairly new symptom for me.
It always make me feel better when I see someone else post something that I've been experiencing. So far today I found two :)
I have 24/7 pain and burning in my neck and upper shoulders - going down into my arms.  Sometimes the lower back too, but mostly upper. Same for the pins and needles in arms and finger and numbness. Legs also do this, especially when I drive.  I also thought it was pinched nerves prior to Dx. Still waiting for further Dx, so not sure if I have syrinx....but been having similar issues that its know for causing.
Never sure if its caused from the Chiari, or the multiple disc issues in my C spine...as they all could be messing with my nerves.  Love my heat pad...hate driving!