Chiari Malformation Community
CHIARI AND SYRINX ?????????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

CHIARI AND SYRINX ?????????

I have low lying tonsils between 2 and 3mm.  I also have a syrinx from T2 to T12/L1.
The syrinx has grown in length from T5 to T2 in 6 months.

My symptoms continue to get worse.
I am scheduled to see a surgeon on Thursday and truly feel that the syrinx is causing my issues.  
Most Chiari specialist state that even though the tonsils are low lying that the compression can not be determined from a MRI and with a Syrinx it makes the condition worse.  Therefore, surgery should be down for the Chiari in hopes that it will help to either shrink or stop the growth.  If in 6 months  the syrinx has not and symptoms are still there then they will shunt the Syrinx.

My question is: Does this sound accurate and what are your thoughts?

Sincerely,
Theresa
So your Syrinx is growing up your spinal cord? Have you been checked for tethered cord? That can also cause a syrinx to worsen, and the way it is worsening sounds like its is pulling from below rather than the pressure from above. The Chairi can even sometimes be caused by the tethered cord in the first place. There is a very educational video about tethered cord syndrome on The Chiari Institute website. Check that out, you might want  second opinion on the corse of action you take, or the order of which you take the actions.    Thank you for sharing info about your syrinx, sorry to hear it worsened.   Stacey

Hi...well most of what u said I agree with, only that a syrinx no matter how long they r, many times they r not wide enuff for a shunt or a stent...they can say they may have to shunt it, but it also depends on the size of the syrinx if it is possible.

Stacey mentions some good things too....

U mentioned u r going to a surgeon...make sure this is a true chiari specialist it does make a diff in the outcome.

"selma"