CINE MRI
In October 2005 I has my original decompression which was quite conservative. No shunt, no patch, etc. My headaches and the pressure has gotten worse so next Tuesday my Dr. has ordered a CINE MRI done at the hospital under general anesthesia. Is this normal?

Thanks
Cancel
7 Answers
Page 1 of 1
539750 tn?1226525277
It sounds normal.  The surgery is just a treatment, with the hopes that nothing will get worse.  It's not really suppose to even relieve symptoms, that's just a bonus.  My symptoms were relieved (yeaaahhh) about 90%.  I do expect that as I get older a 2nd surgery will most likely be required.  I would say mine was conservative 1.5 CM of skull was removed as well as adding a durapatch.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
620923 tn?1452919248
Hi Cyndy......I have never heard of anesthesia for a CINE....using a contrast  dye and a BP clip on the finger or leeds yes.....but not putting u under??

May I ask y u did have a patch?

"selma"
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
999891 tn?1407279676
Hi Cyndy,
Is it possible that it is a local aesthetic for a specific pain?

General anaesthetic for this procedure seems unnecessary but then I am not a doctor, I never had a CINI MRI but it seems from reading about it here that is very much the same as a normal MRI. I do believe but I am open to correction that General anaesthetic is given to kids who are distressed during MRI scanning.  

Ray
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Nope, it's general anaesthetic. I double checked today.  I'm not sure why the general anth. unless he plans to operate if something comes up. He did not do a patch or shunt the first time.  I'm pretty sure this doesn't have anything to do with it, because they scheduled the CINE before they realized it, but I am allergic, very allergic to the iodine in the contrast. Any iodine, so I always have an EPI pen.

Thanks so much!

Cynthia
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
620923 tn?1452919248
Do u have a problem with claustophibia?

If he plans to operate, I would think he would tell u.....sorry I couldn't offer more help.Please update us on what was done so we have some answers here....U will be the first with this situation.

Good luck
"selma"
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I guess he would tell me. He did say he wouldnt know if he needed to operate until he had the CINE MRI. Guess I will. Lucky me!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
620923 tn?1452919248
Please keep us posted on how ur CINE goes!!

Good Luck
"selma"
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
620923 tn?1452919248
Blank
selmaS commented on This is the song that...
8 mins ago
4760166 tn?1398360913
Blank
Blank
skrowe is ...looking for answers. Comment
Jun 23
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Blank
Allentown, PA
Blank
1306714 tn?1327260680