Chiari Malformation Community
Can get get CM from whiplash or blow to the head?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

I had a whiplash in 2007, then just when my whiplash symptoms were getting better, had a blow to the top of the head in later 2007, which exacerbated my symptoms.  I often get a tight feel at the base of the skull, with pressure headaches, worse as the day goes on.  I've been to two PT's who when I mentioned my symptoms, said it's possible that could be a diagnosis.  Probably not, but possible.  I had an MRI done in June 2007, then Jan 2008 (brain and cervical) which showed only mild herniation at c5-6 but that is not causing me any pain.  When I feel this pressure/tightness at the base of my skull I can almost feel it behind my nose, too.  I'm really scared - going to have a second opinion of my MRI.  It could also just be that my suboccipital muscles are locked up and spasming, as one of the muscle in my neck is hypertonic.  I feel better than I did 6 months ago, but it's a slow process.  Just started more therapy in April so I'm hoping to get some relief.  Just wondering if CM can occur after a blow to the head or if it's mainly something you're born with.  Thanks
Avatar n tn
I also have a CM abd have had whiplash as well as a  few concussions. If you find out the answer to this please let me know as I will do the same for you.

Okay, I'm not a doctor or anything, but I've been researching all this since I was diagnosed. With that said:

Chiari Malformation is congenital. You can't actually get it from whiplash. You can get a similar effect, but not exactly Chiari.

However, a wreck can "jumpstart" Chiari symptoms. The problem is, the list of symptoms is pretty lengthy. A lot of Chiarians have different symptoms. Mine were/are dizziness, headaches, numbness in legs and hands, memory loss, fatigue, back pain etc. I've heard of others with vision-loss, a feeling of a "stuffed head", paralysis, among others.

If a neurologist looked at your MRI and was actually looking for Chiari, he/she would most likely have seen it.

Also, generally, you don't start feeling better once the symptoms start. It's usually a downword spiral until you get surgery, which mostly just stops the spiral. Seldom do you get "better". You just stop getting worse. Although symptoms can be alleviated.
Ball123 commented on photo
Ball123 commented on photo
Antere added the Exercise Tracker