Chari Malformation, Cereberal Tonsils
I just had my surgery on August 10th, 2010. The doctor cauterized my cerebral tonsils, does anyone know if it is possible for them to grow back down into the spinal column? I have been having headaches again, a lot of nausea, and the pain in my neck has never really gone away. I feel like I am never really going to recoup from this condition. Any help on this topic would be appreciated. Thank you all, and take care.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I too had surgery with the  tonsils  cauterized....in doing so this does not alway reduce the size of the tonsils that they r completely back in the correct position...otherwise it may not be necessary for the removal of bone to make additional room.

It is possible that u r having issues from scar tissue, or some other chiari /surgical related issue...such as intra cranial hypertension or a CSF leak....

U r only 6 months post op, and it is possible that it is one of the items I just mentioned or that u may just be healing...I was told to expect some symptoms as I was healing.

DO u do exercises for ur neck?...did u have ne PT post op?

DO the HA's worsen with position changes?

Sorry u r feeling poorly, but the surgery is not a cure....just a means to restore CSF flow and help prevent the formation of a Syrinx...and hopefully we will gain relief.

We r happy to have u join us, but not happy for the reasons that bring u.

"selma"
I do go to Physical Therapy, although Christmas time, the kids being off, and the flu has caused a bit of a break from it. I do start back next week with a different therapist. I have stretching exercises though that I have been doing here at home and I use my tread mill daily for about ten minutes or so. Laying down seems to be the best position for me, although the pain and discomfort in my neck just really never goes away. Is there a scan or something i wonder that can show if there is scar tissue, or if i have any permanent damage due to the compression on my cord for so long. My cerebral tonsils were pushed 1.6 cm down into my spinal cord, was to the 3rd cervical ring when they found it, my arms and legs were numb for about 7 months before i was diagnosed.

How long ago was your surgery, and how are you doing now? Thank you for the welcome. I am hoping that education from others with my condition will help me through my difficult time.

Stacy

Hi...well the thing is, is it the right type of PT for u and ur chiari dx?
And r u sure u do not have other issues going on, like Ehlers-Danlos, tethered cord, DDD, a bulging disk, etc.....

Did u have a post op MRI? usually done at 6 months?..they can also do an EMG to check for nerve damage.

"selma"