Chiari 1 malformation
Is their such thing as mild chiari malformation.  my husbands MRI just came back and said he has right sided assymetrical chiari malformation 7mm below.  His Dr. does not seem to concern however his symptoms (constand ringing in right ear, weakness in limbs, shorterm memory loss, hands swelling, dizziness etc.) have all come about  withing the last two months but slowing coming togeather over the past two years and progressively getting worse.  Whata do I do.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

What other issues have u been having, symptoms along with a CSF obstruction and overcrowding is more important than the length of the herniation...yes, the herniation can be a problem, but it is usually bcuz of the width not the length.

SO ur symptoms r important as to what they r and how they are affecting u.
   There are more tests that u should have....a brain MRI w/wo contrast, cervical spine, thoracic and lumbar spine MRI's...they need to rule out a syrinx which can be found newhere in the spine, some Drs only check the cervical spine. U also want to find out if u have overcrowding and a CSF obstruction, Disk issues, sleep apnea, tethered cord, ehlers-danlos, ICP.....

Finding a true chiari specialist to help guide u, is what I would suggest...not all NL and NS's are educated or experienced with how chiari affects us.

We do have a list of the members drs, the list is not a referral, but a means for u to start ur research for the right dr for u.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological%20Disorders/DOCTORS-LIST-FOR-CHIARI-SYRINGOMYELIA/show/1062?cid=186

"selma"
I just had an MRI of my c spine due to rapid eye movement,  eye twitching, severe headaches, panick/anxiety attacks and fainting spells my MRI said that my cerebella tonsils were low that they weren't quite 5mm but we exactly 4.5mm my Dr. said that it was not a big deal that none of the symptoms i was having had nothing to do with that I had no idea about chiari till I asked for acopy of my MRI findings I ask to see a specialist but my Dr says that it is a normal malformation but I'm in constant pain I dnt know if it has anything to do with chiaroscuro but I can't ever find my thongs even if I just set it down I'm in so pain and feel like my head is going to mush do you have any advise for me

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

There are many Drs out there that use old out dated criteria to determine Chiari as a condition that is symptomatic or not...instead of  listening to the patient.

A true Chiari specialist will do more testing, and look to see if u have a CSF obstruction....

Do take a look at our list of chiari drs and do some research....the list is not meant as a referral.

"selma"
I live in Missouri and upon researching chose Dr Oro in Aurora Co.. The airplane ticket is usually around 100.00 if purchased a few weeks out.  I do not believe you will find a chiari expert here as I did not.  A plane ride is worth it considering the type of care we need.  Check him out on the web:)
Just saw the date is really old .... I hope you found great care long ago:)
are there any drs in the daytona beach area?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

We do have a list of the members Drs for ur use to research Drs, there may not be ne listed in that area, but it does not mean there may not be a well informed Dr there ,....we r just not aware of it as yet.

Please use our list as a means to get ur research started, not a referral.
My daughter is 19 and has suffered from headaches for years, since elementary school. At that time they weren't severe, but within the last few years they have become Migraines, with ringing in ears, vision issues, numbness and tingling of her hands, dizziness and nausea. The first time we saw a doctor they said it could be her intake of caffeine, taking too much ibuprofen (which she took because of the headaches) or possibly allergies. Well after continual headaches they finally did an MRI. She has now been diagnosed with Chiari 1 with 4mm herniation. The Neurologist prescribed her Nortriptyline to be taken daily, which she's been on for 3 months, but continues to have the Migraines. Now the physician is recommending Topamax. After reading the side effects I don't know if I want her taking this. Has anyone else been recommended these meds and if so what were your results? Any other meds recommended for others that seemed to work. I think I'll be looking into taking her to Dr. Frim in Chicago  or Dr. Todd Alexander since we're in that area. Any thoughts?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Getting ut DD to a chiari specialist is the best way to go, and Dr Frim is a good chiari Dr, but I believe he only works with pediatrics....I could be wrong so do call and ask.

Topamax is a med I am currently on, and it is awful the first 2 weeks until u adjust, but I am post op...I was on many meds b4 surgery and nothing touched the pain I had ....

Many Drs may not take her herniation seriously as most need to see a 5mm herniation or larger for them to feel it could cause symptoms.....

I am here to tell u it is not the size or length of the herniation but the width, which they do not measure, that can cause the obstruction of CSF flow....

Ask about a CINE MRI, and MRI's of her thoracic, and lumbar spine rule out all related conditions, and know that surgery is not a cure or fix, and that with surgery there r risks, and it is possible to feel worse post op......

Take ur time and research Drs and all that goes with it and make sure she is tested for all related conditions b4 u decide on nething.
I am 40 now and I had my first brain surgery about 5 years ago. Now I went for my second bran surgery and surgery is the only option to have to get rid of these symptoms. I suggest that you see your family doctor and he/she will refer you to see a Neurologist on wherever you are located near. It taks longer to recovery from the first surgery and kids are too young to get this and I have been diagnosiseed with this conidtion in 2007 before I went into surgery... It's only comfortable and sore when you have staples or clips in, but it feels good when it's been removed. You'll have to suffered without pain medications and let it take its course to heal. I was born with condition, but never caught it until five years ago in my late adulthood.

From Kimberley Lazore

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Thanks for sharing ur chiari journey with us....and I hope u stick around and share more of ur journey with us : )

i am a  20 year old female that was dx with chiari 1 malformation two weeks ago. the neurosurgeon told me i have a 6mm herniation and that its mild and nothing to worry about. there is a problem, i have been in constant pain for over 2  years now. i am in college and its getting harder to be in school and concentrate. i been having memory loss, SEVERE headaches (every day), numbness and tingling in my right side. tremors and my balance is deteriorating. these do not seem "remarkable" ( his words) enough to do anything about. im beyond frustrated, i will be applying to medical school soon and the rate im going there is no way o can live my life feeling this helpless. i know wanting brain surgery is not a normal thing but i have tried every medication they could think of. they have given me anti-depressants, muscle relaxants, everything and im the same way. Help

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

First the surgery is not always the answer, u r at the beginning of testing and need more...next is the CINE MRI to see if u have a CSF obstruction, this many times is the cause of the symptoms u r dealing with, Med schools do not prepare Drs on how this affects us, and they all use their own opinion as to what is mild, and when they use terms like that they r referring to the size of herniation, not how u r feeling...so it is very frustrating.

U also need a true chiari specialist, one that is well experienced and informed on how chiari can and does affect us no matter the size of the herniation,

Plus, u do have to look to all related conditions and issues as they play a big role in how u feel and if u have surgery how u heal post op.

Do use the list of Drs we have posted to research Drs to find the right one for u. Know that u r not alone in this bumpy and very frustrating journey. : )
Sounds like you know what your talking about. Unfortunatley I don't. My son is 6yrs. and has had headaches for about 2 months. Had MRI got report:Prominent downward displacement of the Cerebellar tonsils below the foramen magnum consistant with Chari I Malformation. The Cerebellar tonsil are inferiorly displaced be as much as 15mm and syrinx is identified. We are seeing neurosurgeon on Wednesday. I have know idea what to expect. Worried... Is surgery a possibility? What questions to ask?

Cristy

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I am so sorry ur little guy is having to deal with this.

With a syrinx, surgery is most likely an option to be offered as surgery is done to restore CSF flow and help avoid the formation of a syrinx, he has one, so surgery will help the progression of it.

U want to make sure the Dr is a true chiari specialist....and will they do a full posterior fossa decompression with lamenectomy, and duraplasty.

Make sure they test him for sleep apnea, disk issues, tethered cord, ehlers-danlos....these r all important to know b4 surgery as it can affect how he  feels and heals post op.

We do have a list of questions in the Health Pages for the NS....http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological%20Disorders/Questions-for-a-Chiari-NS/show/1155?cid=186

Keep in mind- these questions were all compiled by adults or teens from this site....but I am sure they can be used for ur DS as well......

Keep asking questions and do post an update about how ur visit goes on Weds.
I was afraid that surgery could be a possiblity. we are seeing the chief of pediatric neuro surgey. I haven't looked up what the surgery details but I will.  We tried to keep an open mind about this but I had to get the MRI file to take with us and looked at the report. I do have some medical back ground and could tell with the wording that it may not be just an incidental finding. I just don't want to be caught off guard. One more question is the syrnx always present or does it come and go? he has always been my healthy little baseball player. I just want him to be able to return to what he loves with no complications.

Cristy

Keep in mind a good NS is not always the best choice, u want a NS that specializes in Chiari...not a NS that does a few chiari surgeries...it does make a huge difference.

Sorry, with Chiari it is life altering, and physical things life football, baseball and soccer may be too much for those with this condition, and best to find something else...surgery is not a fix or a cure, if the Dr says it is run the other way.

A syrinx once formed is there and may continue to grow and cause more disruptions, if left untreated for too long a syrinx can cause perm nerve damage.

Having the surgery should allow the syrinx to shrink....some may shrink faster then others, some may shrink only to return later.....

I understand ur concerns and what u want ur child to experience but, I am sure he has had pain while playing and thinks it is "normal".....

I pray all goes well and u get the answers u need.
Sorry to hear of your little man. I have a7 year old boy, and it would break my heart to know he was strugling with this. You have the best answers from Selma. as she is our mother hen that knows all ....I don;t mean that sarecastically either. I can't make you feel better excpet to say, we know how this goes and how hard it can be, but Selma is right, seeing achiari specialist is key,. My NS is a pediaatric NS that specializes in Chiari malformations so if you have it, whether adult or child...he will treat you. I am not sure where you are located but he is an amazing and understanding, and compassionate NS....and that is rare to find. Most of them are prettty cut and dry. Agfain, sorry for the reason you are here, but happy to welcome you and your little man to our community :)
Rahe
Thank you for your support. I'm now realizing what can be in store for us. Its so wierd because right now he seems just fine. Since the MRI and the Dr. put him on antibiotics for a sinus infect. he seems so much better. However a few here and there headaches but not like before. Its almost a false since that everything is fine and there is no problem. That's why its hard to wrap my head around this but i just don't want to caught off guard with what the dr. may say on Wednesday. i don't want to break down crying. depending on what he says sugery no surgery problem no problem I want to be prepared regardless. However, I am scared because what of what i am learning. I don't want to be one of those people that get on the internet and look things up to invite worry in to my life. You know the saying that to much education can be a henderance. talk to your dr first before you start worring. you know some people tell you not even to look stuff up because you will always get the worse case secnerios. then you will be worring for nothing. I just think learning everything is good but keep in mind that your dr will know whats best for your case.

Hi .I understand where you are coming from with the too much knowledge thing, however....not in the case of CHIARI. All TOO MANT DR'S  pretend and give you the idea that they are well informed on it, when in fact they are not. I tell you this from experience. I saw a NS who originally gave me the false idea that he was well informed, and I was so anxious to go with my DH and father to show them who I found...only to find out he really knew alot less than myself. Wow...and that was at my surgery consult. Everyone here told me to beware and to learn as much as possible because with chiari you have to be your own advocate, or your childs in this case. It really is sad the amount of Dr s (NS's) who will tell you that your child needs surgery just for the money of it. What I am trying to say is you can't learn too much with Chiari and it's related conditions and a specialist is so important and really makes a world of difference, especially with a child. You need to be educated so much because that is the only way you will know if the NS really knows his stuff.  Any NS can perform the surgery, but the level of knowledhe required to truely treat someone with it is extensive. In my case....my MRI did not show that my tonsils were actually wrapped around my brainstem, making my surgery even more risky than a normal PFD. Because I saw a specialist and didn't rush , thanks to the advice from people here....my NS was able to handle this complication....which was a huge one !!! Just make sure and learn as much as possible...and don't put off his symptoms as no big deal.I am sure you only have his best interest at heart, he is your son. So many of us learn much later in life that things we thought were normal like our head rushing pain from bending over was normal. Because we had never known any diffferent. When I found out I had chiari and started to do the research I couldn't believe that I had lived my whole life with symptoms and didn't know because you thinks it is normal as a child. Ask as many questions as you can, and make sure the NS spends time with you. A great NS, is one who will take their time ...even if the appt. runs 45 minutes to an hour. My first appt with my NS was at least 45 minutes and he event took the time to explain to my kids one by one in their own age range what was going on and what the surgery was and what it would do. Best wishes to you and your son, and please remember that in this case you MUST learn and have knowledge.
Rahe is right, and I don't think you'd find anyone here who would say too much education is a hindrance.  Maybe 20 yr from now, recognition & treatment of Chiari will be much better than now, but who has time to wait?  This is why it's emphasized over & over to get a true Chiari specialist.

I went to the head of the NS dept at my state's major teaching hospital, and he told me that I didn't have a Chiari malformation, and that my 20+ symptoms were "no big deal".  (they were to me!).  Fortunately I already had a great NS that I trusted, otherwise I'd still be suffering.

If you can't handle TMI, maybe you can find an advocate who can help you sort through it all?  I know it's particularly difficult not to worry when it's your own child.   My DD is a pediatric NP, and she says that kids make the best patients--they don't worry!
hey thanks. everything you said i agree. I checked on this site about the NS we have been sent to and he is considered a specialist in Chiari. He was on the list. Jerry Oakes at UAB in Birmingham. That is why I'm here. To get as much info as possible.  I have a friend that went on a forum regarding her daughters diag. of something completly different and got alot out of it personaly, emotionaly and knowledge. Since you don't hear alot about this diag. I felt I needed to talk to people who know about and could give good advice as well as an out let where others may not understand your feelings. Thank you to all who have responded. I am not afraid of knowledge just scared of the unknown.
Cristy

Cristy

A word of caution, not all on our list r true Chiari specialists, but have successfully treated it...please use the list we post to research Drs do not assume they r all specialists as the list is not posted as a referral.

I do know that Drs name, and have heard good things in the past, but educate urself and see if this is a good fit for u and ur DS.
Hi Selma, I Just spoke with UAB Children's Hospital and Dr. Jerry Oakes is head of the Chiari clinic and deals with this on a regular basis. They stated it was his speciality.

I know he is I just wanted to make sure about ur statement he was on the list, and I know the list has the statement that not all may be true specialists, and I did not want someone reading this to take that away....

It is so important to research the drs, meet a few and compare those of the same caliber as finding the right dr id key.
If you have chiari, what are you not supposed to do.  Example:  Jump up and down , do heavy lifting , boxing, running.bounceing around, playing a musical instrument ,singing.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

We do have a list of activities to avoid....http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological%20Disorders/Activities-to-avoid-with-Chiari-and-Syringomyelia/show/986?cid=186

It is not that u should not play an instrument, it is just the position may be difficult on ur shoulder and neck area depending on which one it is....

As for singing some of us have had our voices affected  so singing may be difficult....

But it is not something u should not do....

U have to listen to ur body as to what u have effects from after doing the activity....
I had ct scan (w and wo contrast), for headaches and double vision and dizziness  and probs with balance.  I have occasionally experienced little problems with fine motor skills, high pitch ringing in ears, and a few other symptoms that may or may not be related. My doctor said she doesnt know anything about chiari I (which is what ct report said was probleme.  Report also recommends mri.)  My question is this: I dont have insurance (to speak of... It ONLY covers office visits and some lab work) Is this a condition that I can ignore?  I cant afford treatment (currrently unemployed and therefore no real insurance).  I had to scrape and scrounge just to get the ct scan, because that isnt covered either. SO  is this really something I can not worry about.    I did go to doc because of dizziness and balance issues.  

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Until u have further testing there is no way to say u can post pone treatment...I deff would have the testing to see just how ur Chiari is affecting ur overall health...so u have a CSF obstruction etc.....

If ins is an issue look into the clinical trials....we do have a link, just use the search this community to find other threads on the topic.
I have a chiari and my son was just diagnosed with one last week. Both are 5mm. Our doctor doesn't believe they cause real issies, but we both suffer terribly. I would like help findjng a specialist in bay area California if anyone has resources. Tha ks so much. My quality of life is crap and I feel really alone. Gia

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I am so sorry both u and ur DS have to deal with these issues....

It is diff to locate Chiari specialists near home and some may have to travel to get to one...we do have a list of Drs that members here have been to and liked, it does not mean all Drs on the list r true Chiari specialists u need to research all the Drs on the list as it is also not meant as a referral.

Please feel free to share some of ur symptoms with us as we can share what we did to help with them...and know u r not alone : )
Hi.  My son's Chiari Type 1  is 7mm.  His symptoms started 12 years ago at age 13, but no one would listen.  He had dizziness, vision problems that have gotten progressively worse...blind spots, flashing, and now balance issues that doctors  attribute to silent migraines.  We have been to several optho and neural opthomologists. I suggested we go to a neurologist, who diagnosed the Chiari.  They are all in lala land.  No one suggested anything, and we are talking Stanford!!!!  They all said his eyes were fine, but suggested nothing,... didn't even say that may be he should see a nuerologist,...and I can see time is of the essence.  Does anyone know of a doctor in Northern California? They all seem to be in the mid-west or east coast. No one really seems to understand the whole gamut of symptoms except the people suffering.  How many people have it.  Wjere did this Dr. Di of the Cleveland Clinic go?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I know, it does not matter how BIG the name of the hospital if they r not doing research in Chiari they will not be of help to u....and too many fall for the BIG name thinking that is the best place to go, and usually it is not.

It is like u have a foreign car with transmission issues...do u go to a well know chain that does repairs, or to the local mechanic that specializes in foreign transmissions?

We do have a list of Drs in the Health Pages and also listed here as a thread.....the list may not all be true chiari specialists, but it is a place to start with ur research.,....and be advised u may have to travel to get to one as u may not find one close to home....and it is well worth it to travel then continue with Drs that do not have a clue.

Dr Di left for "health" reasons...or so I read somewhere, I am not really sure of what really happened as so many stories went around, but suffice it to say he is no longer practicing.... There r other Drs at CC, and inbtwn Ohio and CA....there is a Dr Frim in Chicago, and  Dr Menzes  in Iowa, and Dr Oro in CO, -http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological-Disorders/DOCTORS-LIST-FOR-CHIARI-SYRINGOMYELIA/show/1062?cid=186

Be advised this list is not a referral, just a means to help u research Drs.

If u have ne other questions, please ask : )
Hi Everyone!   I have a syrinx at T2-T7 that causes joint pain sensitive skin...(sunburn like )headaches and a lot of other symptoms. My neurologist suggested I get a cream that was originally designed to treat a lady who had a tumor in her face and when she had it removed she suffered from severe nerve pain that was  unbearable.  The cream has an agent in it that makes it quickly go deep into the tissue and gives lasting relief. You apply it 2 times a day and it has made a remarkable difference in my quality of life. Bobby Orr the hockey player endorsed it and from what I heard help fund the research for it. Their are a variety of types  LivRelief for pain LiveRelief for nerve pain etc. if you guys are like me I figured I'll try anything !!!!!! once. I was amazed at the results. I hope this will help some of you get by day to day as it has me. LivRelief is sold at shoppers drug mart and quite a few other mainstream drug stores. Good luck everyone  Capebretongal

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Thank u so much for sharing this with the members here.....I am sure it may help a few of them.

Have u had surgery ? Do u have Chiari as well as a syrinx?

So I too have been doing loads of research. In 2011 by accident when I had MRI for shoulder and neck, it was found I have Chiari 1 as well cerabellum tonsils 4mm-7mm. I was only told needed surgery for the tear never heard mention of Chiari. 1 mth ago went to a new MD for headaches, she read MRI told me what it said, sent me to NS, he ordered new MRI, went in today was told I have "borderline Chiari, wants me to come back to see his partner associate for 2nd opinion as he believes I could go w/out surgery. My syptoms since I was 14, (now 43) daily, chronic headaches, never a cold always right to phenomia,many migraines (keep Imitrex with me) bad neck pain, arms and legs always numb, horrible sleep apnea. Went to Chiropractors, allergists, pain clinics, you name it. Any one know of a DR that is in Michigan ( I live between Grand rapids and Lansing). I know ME and know there is more going on and want a chance at a better life and to get off all these various pain meds.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Not all of us will have a Dr well experienced in Chiari close to home....
We do have a list of Drs other members here have been to and liked it is here for u to use as a tool to research them, it is NOT a referral or endorsement.

Please find the list in the health Pages- http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186

The DX of borderline Chiari is just hogwash, as u said u know U and u know u do not feel right....keep pushing  to get answers and getting the right Dr is key.
I have chiari type one and have been put on fifty mg of amytryptline a night which is rubbish, I have constant headaces, blurred vision and dizzyness. Has anyone got any suggesions please

Hi and we,come to the Chiari forum.

Meds generally do not help with Chiari HA pain, and more testing should be done to see how ur chiari is affecting ur overall health and what other related conditions may be underlying.

Finding the right Dr is key, u need one well experienced with Chiari...not all are...so u also need to educate urself on Chiari.

I know this might be late but just in case it's not and you are still looking or to help anyone else, there is a wonderful Neurosurgeon Dr in Springfield Missouri who treats and specializes in Chiari. His name is Dr Sami Khoshyomn

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Thank u for sharing a Drs name, if u wouldn't mind, please add the name to our Drs list thread....it will make it easier for members to locate.

May I ask does this Dr treat both adults and children?
I got an MRI in 2008 that showed I was born with Arnold Chiari Malformation 1. Since 1994 my doctors simply believed I had a pinched nerve (tingling/numbess in right hand). I was going to have surgery but lost my job in 2009 and haven't had health insurance since. Lately, it seems the numbness has gotten worse. I've woken up sometimes to discover that my hand is numb to the point of being unresponsive. Sometimes it takes a few minutes of "willing" my hand to move in order for my feeling and dexterity to return. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Have u looked into state covered medical INS?...I know there is also emergency INS for those that need it.....something to look into, contact ur state representatives office and ask how u may qualify.

I use to have the heavy arm/hand in the AM too....I felt I was dragging it it about....I have not had the issue since my surgery.

Do check into what INS u  may be eligible for.

I forgot to mention that there is a well respected Dr in the Baltimore, MD area that does clinical studies and will do testing and surgery at no cost to u again if u qualify for the the current study going on.....

We do have an older thread with a link to check what they are looking for in the next study.
My son is 37yr old and has just been diagnosed with Chiari 1 with a tail of 4.6cm.He has all the classical symptoms and is getting worse.  The neurosurgeon here has done mostly children and teenagers. He is willing to do the surgery but he has not done adults. We are looking for someone in Oregon area that has done allot of Chiari 1 surgeries for adults. Does anyone have any idea who?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum,

We do have a list of Drs for you to use in researching Drs.....the list is not a referral nor an endorsement for those listed on it....

Also keep in mind you may need to travel as many of us do go out of state to get to a true Chiari specialist.

May I ask did they do testing to see if he has a CSF obstruction  or any of the related conditions?

Link to list of Drs -

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Chiari-Malformation/-List-of-Chiari-Drs--USA-2013-2014/show/2046186
No, they did an MRI and found it when he went to the hospital ER for passing out and headache with high b/p and very low heart rate.
Since then he has seen neurologist , did EEG, and now a neurosurgeon.

There are more tests to be done.....CINE MRI  and MRI's of the thoracic and lumbar spine....

And then testing for related conditions.....EDS, ICP, POTS (which can affect heart rate and BP)....

Use the link above to look for Drs ...keeping in mind the list is not a referral nor an endorsement for those listed on it....use it to research the Drs to find the right one.