Chiari Malformation Community
Chiari Decompression Surgery Loma Linda University Hospital Neurosurger...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Chiari Decompression Surgery Loma Linda University Hospital Neurosurgery

Hi. My name is Mackenzie and I am 21 years old. I was diagnosed with an Arnold Chiari Malformation 1 in January and have been experiencing increased symptoms ever since. My symptoms include:

-Sensitivity to light
-Daily headaches and tension
-Neck and Back pain
-loss of feeling in left side
-trouble breathing
-Hydrocephalus
-etc.

I am fortunate enough to live within a close proximity of Loma Linda University Hospital and get to work with the top neurologists and neurosurgeons. However, my question is, I am getting my decompression surgery done in October by Dr. Golshani at the Loma Linda Dept. of Neurosurgery. He is a relatively young doctor and new to loma linda so I cannot find reviews on him or any information on whether he has done this procedure before except from his assistant who says he has, but I would like a patient account if I can find one.

So, does anyone have any experience with Dr. Golshani as a neurosurgeon, and hopefully for the Chiari Decompression surgery specifically?
I would like to comment that Dr. Golshani was very nice, understanding, and seemed capable. I just want to make sure. It is my brain we are talking about.
Im also wondering what kind of foods you can eat after surgery? Can you chew, or are you on liquid mush for a while. What happens if you cough?

...Sry so many questions.
I don't know your Dr but I can tell you I ate solid food the night of my surgery.  It depends on how your stomach is as some are nauseated.  I remember being careful if I coughed or sneezed for quite sometime but was okay:)
I am only just now beginning to eat regular meals, >2 mo. post op.  I ate nothing at all in the hospital.  I think it's something peculiar to me, as I couldn't eat after I gave birth either.
I've lived on mashed potatoes, cherries, ice cream, & miso soup, for weeks.  Oh, & lots of frozen fruit pops. I think you might just have to see how you feel after surgery, and eat what you crave (even if it doesn't seem to make sense).
Best of luck to you!
Thank you! After I had my wisdom teeth removed I had to drink protein shakes for a while so I didn't get malnourished. That might help you if you are having trouble with that limited amount of food.
I ate reg foods the next day. 7 days post op still have trouble swallowing due to sore neck muscles but keep drink near to help. I only felt nauseous a few times but they gave me a patch behind my ear before surgery for it and stuff in iv right aafter, so no sickness. I have never been more happy with my care before, during and after surgery. First surgery sucked. Then I sought out the best specialist in the world and he is the best..... as long as you are confident in your ns, you will do great...hugs Dana :)
Hey! I'm glad you are happy with your ns. What specialist did you go to if you don't mind me asking? The one Im going to is a general neurosurgeon, he's not a specialist.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.
We r all diff in how we r post op, I had issues with the pain meds and was in ICU a few days on a liquid diet until meds were changed and I was able to keep things down,

Make sure that all related issues r checked out....EDS, disk issues,syrinx, sleep apnea...do u have a CSF obstruction and will u have a dura plasty....things u will want to know.

I am 3 yrs post op and was well pleased, I went with Chiari specialists.

I am not familiar with the Dr u r choosing.
Thank you for the reply. Any information is helpful.
We're all different, but we'reHere for you!
Sexybare had Dr Oro do her 2nd surgery and just got home so she may be a little slow to answer as she is healing:) Dr Oro is my NS as well and he is brilliant.  The little sticker behind the ear is great:) I even asked my primary dr for them when I was nauseated at home after....I forgot
I'm curious on how you are doing since surgery? I have the same doc as you and had my surgery oct 9 2012. I am feeling better just a slow recovery. And my scalp is super sensitive :/

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Wow ur surgery were within days of each other....

The super sensitive scalp is pretty normal post op....even to have pain in areas outside of the incision, that is usually from the halo.....

I hope u continue to post ur post op journey with us : )
So I am wondering if anyone has experienced hair loss? Like a lot of hair loss? I'm starting to freak out because of all the hair that's fallen out and how thin my hair is.

Yes...hair loss post op is normal as it is a result of the trauma of the surgery...many  of us also have thyroid issues like Hashimoto's...so that can play a role as well.

I posted a huge clump of hair that came out after I washed it post op.....

My hair did all grow back in and thick as ever....

Do get checked to see if u have an issue such as thyroid that may be causing ur hair to thin.....also look at ne meds u may be on....
Dear MAC2917 / JAX85,

I was wondering how both of you are doing ?  My wife was also diagnosed with Chiari and is contemplating surgery.  The neurosurgeon is Dr. Golshani.  Recently my wife symptoms has been increasingly painful and it is really difficult to see her endure so much pain. It is a helpless feeling to see your love one suffer and endure so much. I do hope the both of you are feeling much better as I know the surgery is not a cure.  Best of luck to the both of you and hope you can provide some insight regarding your surgeries.  Take care and thank you.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

There are many of us that have had surgery,....and the 2 members u replied to have not posted in a while., u can send them a PM (private message) this will generate a email so they know someone is attempting to make contact.

Many of us have posted our surgery experience in our profile page journal....click on a name and see if they have one....or ask : )
Dear Selma,

Appreciate your email response.  That was very kind of you to take the time to write back. My name is Darin and I live in Southern California. It is very nice to meet you.  I do hope things are a little better for you after your surgery.  Thank you again!

U r very welcome,,,,no worries,...and thanks, my surgery has helped me quite a bit, I am glad I had it.

I hope u decide to stick around and post questions and allow us to share our experiences with u.