Chiari Malformation Community
Chiari Help please...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Chiari Help please...

A recent MRI revealed that I had a 5.5 chiari malformation.  I have been plagued with daily headaches and neck pain for a few years, bouts of vertigo (at times debilitating), dizziness and for the past 7 months--eye nystagmus in one eye (occurs at odd times, even when my eyes are closed).  Anyway, the neurologist didn't seem too convinced my symptoms were related to the chiari and put me on Pamelor for headaches (I gained about 10 lbs. in 3 weeks and stopped taking it).  An ENT told me there was no way a chiari that small would make me dizzy.  I am seeing a chiropractor who specializes in Orthospinology, upper cervical care and treats dozens of chiari patients in hopes to relieve the symptoms.  I have noticed some relief but I do believe my symptoms are from the chiari malformation...should I pursue seeing another neurologist?
A true chiari specialist is always preferred but even that small of a chiari can cause problems. I was dx'd with chiari 4 years ago, 5mm. I had another MRI last Monday and got the results today. They say there is no chiari (this is not the neurologist that dx'd me) but I still have the symptoms. Some neurologists just don't understand what they are dealing with. You might want to seek a new neurologist.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

As AllTheRightShades mentioned above, u will want a true Chiari specialist as there are many Drs that are not well informed or experienced with Chiari or Chiari related conditions.

Some with herniations smaller then urs can have more symptoms and issues then those with a 13mm one...it is not the size of the herniation but if u have a CSF obstruction or other related issues...

My herniations were 4mm and 6 mm...we have 2 tonsils and the Drs tend to give just one of the measurements...I also have a partially retro-flexed odontoid which added to the limited space for CSF to flow...so if the Dr is saying u should have no issues bcuz the herniation is not of a certain length....size is not the issue...how it affects u and ur overall health is.

Look at our list of Chiari drs ,this list was compiled by the members here of Drs they have been to, treated by and liked...the list is not a referral nor an endorsement...it is here for u to use to research Drs....

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186
zomblvr uploaded new photos
May 22
zomblvr joined this community
Welcome them!
May 22
Ball123 commented on The more intense you ...
May 22