Chiari Malformation Community
Chiari Specialist at Mayo Clinic - Rochester MN?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a Chiari expert at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN? I have been doctoring there and after reading a lot about Chiari and am wondering if maybe that is the cause of my symptoms and not a spinal fluid leak? I'm scheduled to see a neuologist down there in early May and I think I will ask more questions. I know they are planning to redo the MRI. I see on their site that they treat Chiari there.
Hey there, you have a good question. I was asking the same thing when I found out about my Chiari, because I know someone at the Mayo in MN, and thought that would be helpful. The thing is, I never could find a doctor on any of the Chiari Specialist lists who practices there. It is a great place, and they are very capable doctors, but you would do well to check the specialist lists. SelmaS in corroboration with many others has worked to create a list of Chiari specilists around the Us and other parts as well. You can find it on the forum board under "List of Chiari Specialists".
There is also another short list of specialists in the country that I have used to cross-reference the doctors I was looking at, and you can find it at:
www.*************.org/c/Arnold_Chiari_Malformation/forum/10747609-list-chiari-specialists/page-3 .

I hope that is somewhat helpful. I have been told to look for a specialist who #1 lists Chiari somewhere in his Areas of Interest, #2 has been published on the topic of Chiari, and #3 deals with Chiari on a very frequent basis.

In the end I found a doctor who had trained at teh Chiari Institute of New York, but who practices in my area. He is on the cutting edge of Chiari medicine, and stays up with all the latest research because it is clearly his passion. When I met with him he performed 6 tests and spent a long time with us in consultation explaining everything, even clueing me in on the newest research. He's not in MN, and might be a far drive for you.
Best of luck. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Thanks for your input. I have looked at the list that Selma posted and I'll check out the link you gave me. Thanks too for the  one, two three criteria list - I can see where that would be important.
Have a Blessed Easter!!

Hi...not all big named clinics have chiari specialists...so be advised so u r not too disappointed.....I know a few that went to the clinic u mentioned but were not happy with the Drs there....I do not know for sure about the location u mention and if there is one there...so do please let us know : )

"selma"