Chiari Specialist in Kentucky
Does anyone know of a Chiari Specialist in Kentucky?  I was diagnosed with Chiari I and Decompressed in September of 2006.  Slowly but surely my symptoms have returned to the point where I have a non-stop severe headache in the back of my head that is unbearable everyday and the medications just barely keep it tolerable.  The nausea is with me constantly, lights and sounds both bother me, balance problems, sleep problems, ringing in the ears, and depression are just a few of the symptoms that have returned with a vengence.  My neurologist moved and my family doctor is helping me find another but it is hard to find one in my area of KY who knows Chiari - Somerset or Lexington, Kentucky.  When I originally had my decompression surgery, no one told me that the symptoms could come back, so this return to misery is a trip I could have done without.  Sometimes, like today when the backof my head hurts so back, it throws me into a full blown migraine with the aura and I just have to go to the Dr. and get a shot and stay in bed.  I just stumbled onto this website and would like to get feedback from other Chiarians.

HI and welcome to the Chiari forum.

We have a list of the members Drs...it is not a referral, but a means to help u get started on ur research of Drs.....not all may be true chiari specialists, but successfully treated one of our members for it.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological%20Disorders/DOCTORS-LIST-FOR-CHIARI-SYRINGOMYELIA/show/1062?cid=186

U may find u have to travel to get to a Dr, they r not easy to locate close to home, and many of us do find we have to travel.

Make sure u get more testing to see what other related conditions u may have ...syringomyelia, (syrinx) tethered cord, sleep apnea,disk issues, ehlers-danlos,ICP, PTC.....

U also want a CINE MRI to check CSF flow and over crowding.....

"selma"
I didn't think there was one in Kentucky but one over the boarder in Ohio (Cincinnati) - Mayfield Chiari Center.  Dr. Tew is well known in the Chiari field.  Seeing him tomorrow.  Will be posting my experience afterward.  If you can't find anyone in Kentucky, I suggest contacting Mayfield.
Please give me more information about this Dr.  How do I contact Mayfield?  Please give me the Dr. name and the treatment facility name and address so my family Dr. can refer me.  I am so tired of being treated for just plain migraines when I know it is the Chiari symptoms that are the underlying cause of my problems.  I am back at work today just because I HAVE to be here but I don't feel well.
Here is a copy and paste from the link I gave u, the Dr and info was on our list......

Dr. John M. Tew, Jr.
Mayfield Clinic
Unv Medical Arts Bldg.
222 Piedmont Ave, Suite 3100
Cincinnati, OH 45219
(513)221-1100
I've been searching for days for some info as well.  Thank you for posting this.  I know its been nearly two years since the last post here, but was wondering if anyone is still reading this if you could reply?  Would be great to hear if Resa found a doctor and where?  I too live in Kentucky and am having trouble finding a Chiari Specialist.  I will be contacting Dr. Tew.  Thank you SelmaS.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Many times we have to travel out of town or out of state, I did, and it was the best thing I could have done, it is well worth it to go to a Dr that is well informed and experienced with this and ALL related conditions.

Thank you. It looks like I my be traveling as well.
I live in Lexington and have Chiari Type 1 along with a VP shunt. I am from NY and since being here for the past three years, the only doctor that I have found that has the means to reset my shunt and knowledge of my situation, is a Dr Thomas Pittman and he is at the Univ of KY Neuroscience clinic. Other than that, I googled and got the name of a dr in Evansville?
Correction.
Neurosurgical Consultants, LLP
815 E. Parrish Ave., Ste. 320
Owensboro, KY 42303
Phone: (270) 688-1770
Fax: (270) 688-1780
Web Page: http://www.omhs.org/find_a_doctor/doctor-detail.aspx?doctorID=4093

I found this on the International Chiari site

Hi to add a Dr to our list please post it on this thread - http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Chiari-Malformation/-List-of-Chiari-Drs--USA-2013-2014/show/2046186

This is an older thread, so the member that was seeking a Dr may at this time have one.....

We only add our Drs to our list after we have been treated by them and liked them...was this ur Dr?