Chiari Malformation Community
Chiari Specialists

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Chiari Specialists

I was just diagnosed with a Chiari Malformation and I'm not sure how to find a Chiari Specialist. Is there a list somewhere? I live in Atlanta, GA. Can anyone recommend a doctor? Thanks!
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I have posted a link to a thread on this forum and on this first page...it has drs names that members here have gone to and liked...BUT u MUST research all drs on teh list to find one that is a true chiari specialist and one that is right for u.

U may need to travel to get to a dr as not all of us can live near one as they r few and far btwn......

I hope u continue to share ur chiari journey with us.....and know we r here for support and to let u know u r not alone.

Glad to have u as part of our little family here, sorry the reason u had to seek us out.

"selma"

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Chiari-Malformation/LIST-OF-CHIARI-SPECIALISTS/show/1121460
Hello everyone!

I was diagnosed about 3 months ago with Chiari. I have health insurance through a local hospital which has 4 neurosurgeons... but none are specialists. I have beena arguing with my ins trying to go get a 2nd opinon but they wont cover it.  Today I found out that there other other Neurosurgeons besides the ones in my city that are covered... I found out that the University of Iowa is covered and there is a Dr. Arnold Menenzes there... i have heard his name mentioned on random chiari forums/websites... can anyone tell me is he a chiari specialist?????    Thanks for any info good or bad!!
Hi...if u can get to Dr Menezes do so...I heard him speak at a chiari conference and I was impressed with his understanding of not only chiari, but cerviocranial instability....plus he had a very good humor...interesting speaker, so I can only imagine a good listener too!...I was able to ask a few questions afterward...and if I was closer may have opted to give him a try......

"selma"
I live in metro Atlanta, too, and was just diagnosed about 1 month ago.  I had my first appointment with Dr. Barrow (the head neurosurgeon at Emory) yesterday.  I had not seen any info about him on this forum yet, but I wanted to start out at Emory since it is right here.  He does handle Chiari cases; in fact he said that he had just performed a decompression surgery the day before my appt.  I feel very comfortable with him, but I may still look into a second opinion just due to the fact that I think this is pretty major stuff we're talking about here :)
He is going to have me get a CINE MRI and recommended that I also see a neurologist there at Emory who specializes in dizziness & balance issues since that is my most bothersome symptom.

Please let me know if you find any specialists in Atlanta.  Best of luck to you.
-Amy
I am in Atlanta diagnosed in February 2012. My first app't was w/dr Morrison NS @ north side. I met w/dr heffez at chiari center in Wisconsin 3 weeks ago and have an app't with dr wray at Piedmont on june 12th.  Dr heffez performs about 3 decompressions per week. If he were in atlanta I would have surgery with him because of his and his staff's experience. Another doctor who is a family friend did some research and told me most of the chiari surgeries in atanta are done at Piedmont which is why I chose an app't with dr wray-it
Iisted chiari on his Bio, which the others did not.  Having surgery is a major decision and I am still researching. I found a link to this site from the chiari support site and I am very happy to see there are others in Atlanta searching for the same answers that I am. You will be in my thoughts as you travel
On this journey.  June
I have been thinking about you. Have you had your cine MRI ?
Hi auntij2746, any more luck finding chiari specialists in Atlanta area?
hello. Could you give me more info on your opinion of dr barrow at Emory in Atlanta? I met with dr wray at Piedmont this week he was very nice I am still waiting to find someone to test me for ED  do you know anyone in Atlanta who could do this?  Also I think I need to request thoracic & lumbar MRIs but not sure NS agrees with that . Thanks so much! I am getting weary :(