Chiari Symptoms
Hello All,

I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation in 2011 after years of pain. I had an 11mm herniation and a syrnix that was through out my entire spine. I had decompression surgery 2 weeks after and felt great even though the numbness in my face, arm, and hand never went away. Recently the symptoms have returned I am extremely fatigued, my neck and back are in severe pain, I have has a few headaches, and the numbness is very intense. Any idea what could be happening? Is it possible for the symptoms to return?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Yes, it is possible for symptoms to return as the Chiari does not go away with surgery, Surgery is a means to restore CSF flow and slow progression.

have u had post op MRI's to see if ur syrinx shrank? That can be ur issue too.

Do u know if ur Dura was opened ? Did u have a lamenectomy?

There are diff types of decompression....some are not invasive and may need to be redone...so knowing what was done will help.Did u go to a true Chiari specialist at all...seems it went fast from DX to surgery....

U may want to see one now and see how they may be able to help u.
I have searched the internet and have not been able to locate a specialist is Dallas do you know where I can obtain a list? My dura was opened and part of my c1 or c2 was removed.

We compiled a list of the Drs the members here have been to and liked, there may not be one in Dallas but u can see if there is one nearby u feel is qualified as u do have to research the Drs, the list is a tool and acts as a starting point....but it is not a referral or endorsement of the Drs on the list,.

Here is a link to the Health Pages...there is other helpful info in there as well as the list.- http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186

Do u know what kind of patch was used?