Chiari Malformation Community
Chiari carpenters

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Chiari carpenters

I am new to this forum. I stumbled upon this today and was extremely glad. I was wondering if there are any carpenters on here who have had the surgery? I had my surgery in november last year and recently decided to return to work bc I was feeling great. Not so much now. I'm starting to feel like I did before the surgery. Just wondering if being a carpenter is over for me or if people figure out ways to deal with everything.  

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Most chiari Drs will tell u to avoid heavy lifting and straining...so, I would think this would be a diff occupation to go back to....

Keep in mind, it can take up to 2 yrs to completely heal inside...all the nerves...so u r still healing, and may be doing too much...mayb if u waited a little longer u could go back??? Who knows we are all diff...

Do u know if u have ne related conditions or issues?

Stop the lifting, and straining...and see if u feel ne better.....

We r glad to have u join us, but sorry for the reasons that bring u,.

"selma"
Sorry I can't answer your question.  I just wanted to say that I'm an military electrician so I understand where you're coming from.  I spend lots of time helping carpenters and also doing the army stuff.  I've been struggling with my work for 4 years now and although I haven't had surgery yet I am almost certain I will lose my job when my employer finds out what I have.  
I know how difficult it was for me to strain myself on the job, which is just part of the job.  I started to find that thing I always did before without thinking about them were becoming difficult and being stubborn never wanted to ask for help, so I would go home and try to do my suffering at home out of everyone's sight.
Its a big deal when your job comes into play.  I hope you continue to recover.  I just wanted to let you know that I understand how difficult this all is.
Take care
Thanks for the responses. I had no idea that it takes up to 2 years to heal.

Autumn 55 I know what you mean by just trying to suffer at home. I can't imagine asking someone for help doing something that I know that I was able to do a few years ago.  Good luck on your recovery as well.
zomblvr uploaded new photos
May 22
zomblvr joined this community
Welcome them!
May 22
Ball123 commented on The more intense you ...
May 22