Chiari specialists in Ottawa, Ontario
I am new to this site. It looks like there is a lot of helpful discussion!  I noticed a short list of suggested doctors specializing in Chiari in Canada.  My adult daughter has been diagnosed with Chiari and lives in Ottawa.  Is there a good neurologist and/or neurosurgeon in the Ottawa area that anyone would recommend?  I noticed an Aug 6/10 post from someone who mentioned they had a good neurosurgeon in the Ottawa area but the name wasn't noted.  Thanks very much in advance!
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

AS u found the list we have is one compiled from members of drs they were to and liked....unfortunately it is not a referral list, but a way to help u get started  on ur research.

We do have a few members that are active from Canada and I am sure they will post info they have on drs in the area. I am from the states, so can not comment on drs in Canada except to say the same I do for all chiarians, is research the drs, get a few opinions and go with what u feel is right for u...but do ur homework and understand the condition.

I again included the link in case neone reading the thread did not know where to find the list for Canada Drs.

Glad to include u in our little family here, but not happy for the reasons that bring u.    

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Chiari-Malformation/CHIARI-DRS-LIST-CANADA/show/1270605

"selma"
Thanks for the helpful information and very warm welcome!  I noticed in archive posts a few folks have mentioned specialists in the Ottawa area so I may reply to them directly to see who they might recommend, if that's OK to do.  Not only am I new to this site but also to social networking!
Hi No worries and by all means do try, u may want to look to see if they have been active....if not u may not get a reply....but u never know : )

If u need ne help navigating let us know : )

"selma"
I live in Ottawa and can recommend DR. Nzau at CHEO. I have a 5 yr old who Has a Chiari 1 Malformation along with the Syrinx and had the operation as is doing well. My other Son of 2yrs old also has a Chiari 1 Malformation along with the syrinx and 2 cists in the brain and is again seeing Dr. Nzau.

My oldest son has Headaches all the time with Vomiting but neither have any other symptoms.

We are a bit frustrated because we were told it is not Hereditary and now we are finding out it is and should go do testing un us to find out the genetics.

Best of luck to all and
SalmaS you truly are an Angle... Thank you so much for all your efforts to help us all.

Derek

Hi and welcome to the chiari forum.

I am so sorry to hear both ur children u dealing with not only chiari but syringomyelia as well....

It has yet to be official that chiari is something we pass thru heredity, but more and more families have multiple members with it...medical science is slow to concede to the obvious....

Thank u for the info on a Dr in Canada, if u could please add him with his info to the link for Drs in Canada thread I would appreciate it-

We r happy to have u join us, but not happy for the reasons that bring u.

"selma"
Hi Derek,

Sorry to hear all that your sons are experiencing. I am in Ottawa as well &  am dealing with chiari and Syringomyelia. I had decompression surgery in Nov. 2010. I couldnt log into my account on here until now as my password was somehow wrong & I wasnt receiving the email to reset it...

Anyhow, I am contemplating starting a support group in Ottawa for parents,children and anyone else dealing with Chiari. I am wondering if you would be interested. If so, please msg me. I am thinking about starting an annual walk next summer to raise awareness. there is a wonderful support group on Facebook called Zipperheads for Chiari. From there you can also find a group for parents. They are amazing!!! I hope your sons are ok and I look forward to hearing from you.
Hi I live in Gatineau and also am suffering from symptoms from Chiari. I have not found a neurologist yet that will treat me. The one I saw was not too familiar with the condition and said there was nothing he could do as my symptoms were not debilating enough. I am trying to find a doctor here that has some expertise. If you start a support group, please let me know.
Annne

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

We do have a list of Drs from Canada u can use to research Drs that have treated members here.....u can access the list via the health pages link-
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186

Or click on the direct link to the list in the above comment.