Chiari Malformation Community
Chiari???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Chiari???

I am seeking some advice/assistance...

About 8 months ago I started having these pains in my head. They feel much like contractions in my brain. I had a CT, MRI, EEG etc but neurologically everything was fine. They decided it was in my neck so they sent me for a MRI of the spine. Here were the findings:

Mild disk desiccation is present in C4-5 and C5-6. There is a mild central disk bulge at C5-6 with no stenosis, cord or nerve root entrapment. There is tonsillar ectopia of the cerebellar tonsils noted at the craniocervical junction with approx 4 to 5mm of inferior extension of the cerebellar tonsils into the upper cervical cancal. No cord compression, syrinx formation or other complication is evident.

My pain specialist who ordered the test has not got back to me in 2 weeks so I came online to do my own research. What does all of this mean? Are there treatments?

Laura
HI Laura and welcome to the chiari forum.

It seems u may have triggered chiari headaches, were u in a MVA recently?...a fall?...sometimes just a bumpy car ride can trigger a dormant chairi into a full flare.

Do u have other symptoms?...pain when u strain to eliminate waste?...couch, laugh or cry?

Ne pains with physical exertion?

U will want to see a chiari specialist to be reviewed to see where u r regarding treatment, but unless u have a CSF blockage and ur symptoms continue to worsen, it is possible that u will be monitored for a while.
Treatment for chiari is surgery....and is only done when quality of life and symptoms are such that it is needed....

Many NL and NS do not feel chiari to be symptomatic, so u may not get told that u have this condition by ur dr.I can suggest u always get copies of all reports, blood work, MRI's and copies of the actual films.

Many with chiari also have the bulging disks as well, so we get some things sooner in life than most....and I am sure ur drs will watch ur disk closely.

It is good there is no report of a syrinx, but if u only had a cervical MRI and a brain MRI, u still need to have a thoracic and a lumbar MRI to completely rule one out...most syrinx's do form in the cervical spine, but can form elsewhere in the spine.

I am happy to welcome u to our little family here, but not happy for the reasons u had to seek us out.

"selma"