Chiari Malformation Community
Cine MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Cine MRI

Hey I had my second cine MRI yesterday and waiting for my results.last time(6 months ago)I was told I was blocked with mildly diminished flow so I was wondering how much does your flow have to be diminished before it causes problems?I have an 8-11 mm herniation depending on which dr. You listen too!!and daily headaches but no other symtoms (symptoms)

I was wondering this as well. My cine MRI says that I am blocked in the 4'th ventricle, right now I have symptoms but not to the extreme to have surgery yet. I don't know about the future though. I have 11-13mm herniation. Did the doctors tell you that surgery depends on the symptoms more than the blockage, i've been told this.
erica
Hi....I do know that symptoms do play a big role, and so does the blockage.....I was also told that if there is overcrowding.

Also, take a good look at ur symptoms...I can remeber thinking I do not have all these symptoms....but I did not understand what most were and later found I had more symptoms than I thought.

DO be careful tho, ne bumpy ride or fall can cause the symptoms to increase.

"selma"
Hey,great to hear from you I don"t often find messages from people with the same type of issues as me,Thankfully I dont have many symtoms (symptoms) except the headachesWhat problems do you have with your chiari?Still waiting for my CINE results
Hello, My headaches are not as bad as they used to be. About 15 years ago I was suffering so bad with the headaches, dizziness, nausious, i then went for acupuncture and she did magic for my pounding headaches. I never get them like that anymore. But now after my children were born i have more neurological issues, like hand weakness and joint issues and leg/feet weakness, swollen feelings as well. It's been staying pretty much the same the past few months but it's hard to tell what will happen. My shoulders and neck are always stiff but that's something I'm pretty much used to at this point.  I also have other issues going on so it's hard to know what's coming from chiari and what is other issues. I have bad degeneration in my neck and scoliosis which could be a cause of some of my problems as well. So right now I'm learning as much as I can about chiari and meeting new doctors. I'm glad to hear that you are only suffering from the headaches, do you have a doctor that is following you that you are happy with?
erica
Hey,finally got my cine mri report back,man am I confused!!My Neurosurgeon says that even though theres very little change from 6 months ago he thinks I should have surgery soon because he believes its going to get worse soon "so lets be proactive not reactive".But the Chiari Dr. I saw 6 months ago told me "You have somewhat low lying tonsils without a true chiari syndrome"I have a hernation of 8-9 mm and my CSF is diminished with a flow velocity of.34cm/sec and.86cm/sec(anyone know what that means!!??)
I do know for certain that I won't be having surgery with anyone who is not a Chiari expert,I think my Neurosurgeon wants to open me up for pratice!!!
Hi....sorry I do not understand the info except the deminished flow...right there tells u that u need to get the input of a NS that u r comfortable with ie- a chiari specialist.

U certainly do not want to be a pratice patient for a NS that wants to just do the surgery for doing a surgery.....

May I ask what r ur symptoms...have they changed in the last 6 months?

"selma"
Still basically having constant headaches,not really anything else.
I'm glad to hear that you are only having headaches and not anything else. Just
because that doctor wants you to have surgery because he thinks you'll get worse,
doesn't mean that you are.  I think if you are able to handle your headaches and arn't
ready for surgery you should probably wait. I have gone to many doctors that some
say to have the surgery and others say to wait. It's pretty much up to you and how you feel. Also, I don't think you want  to go to someone that wants to practice on you. Maybe
you should go to an expert and get another opinion.
erica
Thanks I'm kind of of the same mind, think I'll wait and see how my mris go every 6 months unless I feel worse!!!the problem with seeing an expert is that I already did!!he doesn't even believe my headaches are chiari caused!!
Hi...may we ask who u saw ....the specialist?

I know, that it all does depend on ur symptoms and the overcrowding and the CSF flow.

Some will suggest u find a NL in ur area that understands chiari to watch u.....MRI's every 6 months....and keep track of symptoms.

U will need to avoid things that may cause the symptoms to be triggered.

"selma"
I actually saw dr Batzdorf at UCLA very nice older guy but it left me confused at the time when he didn't think the headaches I've been having for a full year had anything to do with chiari.
Well, he is a chiari dr....and it is possible to have migraines seperate from chiari HA's.....do u know if there r ne changes at all in ur MRI's?

"selma"
Thanks Selma,I really don't think my headaches are migranes (migraines) I've tried all the meds.and the headaches are more constant then that everyday from the time I wake up and also when they're really bad I feel like my head is going to explode when I strain etc!!dr batzdorf said it was lack of spinal curve in my neck but I tried physical therapy and muscle relaxors and it didn't help at all.my MRIs haven't changed in a year 8-9 mm hern. And partially blocked flow
I would suggest a second opinion then...just to see what anothe chiari dr would suggest the problem is....I would bet it is the flow issue.
I'm really doing well with the headaches right now but I seem to be having "dizziness" which I haven't had before,Its a strange feeling almost like when I turn my head my brain takes a second to catch up,if that makes sense to anyone!! Not sure if its a new effect of the Chiari or something else
HI Rach.....it could be vertigo.....I had several episodes of it and stopped driving bcuz of it.....urs does not sound as bad as the episodes I had...once it lasted 2 weeks.

Do talk to ur dr about it...and ask what u can do.Do u notice it when u turn to one side more so than the other?

"selma"
thanks for your quick reply,It does'nt seem to be worse when I turn one way.I'm off to a headache clinic in Ojai CA tomorrow at the suggestion of my neurologist don't know how that'll go or if there's much point but I'm doing it anyway
There is a  the opinion that migraines do accompany chiari...and that the HA's r different....u may want to ask about the possibility of having vertigo.

General dizziness is possible as well, but I asked about turning bcuz I did notice my vertigo would flare or be affected as I turned to my left.

I found out after surgery my left side was really compressed.

"selma"