Chiari Malformation Community
Complications after chiari decompression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

My 11 yr old daughter had a chiari decompression 9/6...since then hasn't been able to walk normally, although PT seemed to be helping. About a week post op, she started having problems with eye pain, burning, sensitivity to light and blurred vision. It was ruled out as being due to chemical meningitis. Now she is having severe pain in her right arm that shoots down to her fingers, tingling feeling and inability to move shoulder and arm. She is crying and hving severe pain. Anyone ever hear of anything like this happening postop? What are the chances of brachial plexus nerve damage or being affected in some way?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I want to clarify, ur DD had surgery in 2006?....and has had a problem since having surgery.....??

There r issues that can develop post op...such as cerebral ptosis also known as brain slump this occurs when the NS removes too much bone and the brain slips down... compresses the brain stem and causes a CSF obstruction...this can cause the symptoms ur DD is dealing with.

Has she had a MRI since surgery...how many post op? when was the last one?

And there is always PTC that can also develop...that is also know as inter cranial hypertension...this is when the body either makes too much CSF or just can not absorb the CSF and there is an xcess so pressure build up.....Meds r used to see if that helps, if not surgery to place a shunt is a last resort if this is the issue.

I would look to see if ur DD's NS was in fact a chiari specialist, and not just a NS that did chiari surgery...get copies of all MRI's...b4 and after surgery and get another opinion.

"selma"