Chiari Malformation Community
Constant oscillopsia looks like everything moving anyone have this?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

I am 8 weeks post op for a 22mm chairi I and am still having constant oscillopsia or that it looks to me like everything is moving if I move my head or body or eyes.  I also have double vision when I look away from center and nystagmus when I look right or left or sometime that just happens.  The oscillopsia started two years ago when I was pregnant and has only gotten worse.  I was hoping after surgery some of this would improve but it has not at all.  I am taking Baclofen that the neuro-ophthalmologist prescribed after surgery but no change.  Does anyone else have this? Does it improve at all?  I am miserable as I can barely function and have lost all independence.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Depending on the extent of nerve impingement b4 surgery can determine how long it may take to recover....this can be a long recovery with out some of the  symptoms u had pre op.

many times symptoms reoccur as we heal....this is normal during the recovery period.....we do have to be patient....

Do u have ne new issues/symptoms?
I'm sorry to read this, as I understand--the visual disturbances were some of the worst symptoms for me.  I was fortunate in that there was some relief within a few days of surgery, but reading is still no longer pleasurable at 6 wk post op; it seems exhausting.  
I would recommend resting your eyes as much as possible, look into the distance, avoid reading.

I hope this resolves for you soon.
Thanks for your responses.  I was so hoping to get even some relief. The double vision was much worse after surgery but four weeks later went back to how it was pre surgery. If you dont see improvement at all after surgery  does that mean the damage could be permenant?
I hope not!  I saw my NS today for 6wk checkup & although he was pleased w/my progress, he said 1-2 yr post op was more indicative of recovery.
He told me to be patient w/remaining symptoms--not easy!  :)

It will take up to 2 yrs for the nerves to heal completely and u will continue to see improvements as time goes...I am 3 yrs post op and can attest to that.
Thanks. It is difficult to have hope and be patient.  I wake up everyday and pray for improvement before I open my eyes, but sadly it is always the same.  Maybe tomorrow.
selmaS commented on selmaS's status
Sep 17
sherimom, and selmaS commented on sherimom's status
Sep 16