Chiari Malformation Community
Dental work with Chiari

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Dental work with Chiari

Hey Everyone
I was dx'd with a 10mm Chiari 1 about 2 years ago. I have Not had any surgeries... I just take my symptoms day by day and do the best I can. I am very careful to avoid activities that could possibly worsen my condition/increase symptoms.   Last night I noticed I have a hole in one of my teeth... going to need a dentist ASAP! I have been afraid to go to the dentist since my diagnosis bc im afraid it will make my brain worse.  I cannot tilt my head backward at all due to extreme dizziness when I try.  Therefore I have no idea how giong to the dentist will work since I cannot lie back... also Im afraid that the dentist drilling/poking around in there will cause my chiari overall to worsen?!   Anybody have any thoughts or experiences?!  Thanks!

I had a wisdom tooth pulled a few months back. It hurt they way the dentist had to struggle & jerk me to remove it. I informed my dentist that I have chiari. She often lets me take breaks, She also sometimes stands up & works on me so she dont have to lay my head back as far.  As far as I know it dont make Chiari  worse.
I believe it may be uncomfirtable for you to lay in the chair. But its not going to worsen your chiari. But do let your dentist know what you have and that you may need a break in the middle. I am almost 5 mo post op and i have a broken tooth as well. Dentist next week. Im afraid to go also.
P.s. by the way i also have tmj which makes holdin my mouth open extremly painfull. Come on ha, ugh
I have TMJ as well...  :(
What is TMJ?
Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD or TMD), or TMJ syndrome, is an umbrella term covering acute or chronic inflammation of the temporomandibular joint, which connects the mandible to the skull. The disorder and resultant dysfunction can result in significant pain and impairment. Because the disorder transcends the boundaries between several health-care disciplines—in particular, dentistry and neurology—there are a variety of treatment approaches.

The temporomandibular joint is susceptible to many of the conditions that affect other joints in the body, including ankylosis, arthritis, trauma, dislocations, developmental anomalies, neoplasia and reactive lesions.[1]

An older name for the condition is "Costen's syndrome", after James B. Costen, who partially characterized it in 1934.[2][3][4][5]

Signs and symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorder vary in their presentation and can be very complex, but are often simple. On average the symptoms will involve more than one of the numerous TMJ components: muscles, nerves, tendons, ligaments, bones, connective tissue, and the teeth.[6] Ear pain associated with the swelling of proximal tissue is a symptom of temporomandibular joint disorder.

Symptoms associated with TMJ disorders may be:
Biting or chewing difficulty or discomfort
Clicking, popping, or grating sound when opening or closing the mouth
Dull, aching pain in the face
Earache (particularly in the morning)
Headache (particularly in the morning)
Hearing loss
Migraine (particularly in the morning)
Jaw pain or tenderness of the jaw
Reduced ability to open or close the mouth
Tinnitus
Neck and shoulder pain
Dizziness
Thank you for the information. Looking at this I might have this to!
Good News everyone! I bit the bullet & went to the dentist so I wouldn't have to think about it all weekend and I survived!! Honestly, it didn't bother my head near as much as I thought it would!  I took a small soft pillow along and put it behind my head/neck and the doc let me sit mostly up.  The drill is soo smooth that I hardly even noticed it!  I figured id post that my experience was much more pleasant in regards to my chiari than I thought it would be!  My face is still numb so I have no idea if my tooth is going to feel as good as my head and I keep drooling on my desk LOL but beyond that it wasnt soo bad!

So glad to hear u had a positive experience and had the problem taken care of.....Yeah !!!

Thanks for sharing : )
Glad to hear you didn't have a bad experience.   After I had surgery I also had to have a tooth pulled.  I told the dentist having that tooth pulled was worse on me than my surgeries.  OUCH!!!  next time they will have to put me out.  lol....   Glad to hear you got it taken care of.
Great to hear you made it through okay! I know the dentist is scary for everyone! I will put off going to the dentist for as long as I can, cavity or not.
Wow, thanks for posting. Regardless of your illness, you need to get to the dentist as quickly as possible. Holes in your teeth are nothing to mess around with.