Chiari Malformation Community
Development of syrinx

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Development of syrinx

I had my lower and cervical (not middle) mri 3 and half weeks ago about a week after car accident and within last 4-5 days I have developed extreme stiffness. Could I have developed a syrinx since mri?? I also have nerve damage. What are chances of that happening and will I need another MRI??

Hi Typically syrinx's r slower to develop....but, we r all diff and 3 weeks is recent enuff to not need to worry...I just wonder y ur dr did not check  ur thoracic spine as well....We do have a few members with syrinx's in the thoracic region.

Most Drs will only do additional MRI's to get a diff view or if u develop new symptoms....and/or the last MRI's r older then 6 months.....

The stiffness could be from stress ...we tend to hold ourselves a certain way...which could cause  the muscles to be over tight and it would feel stiff...sore.......stretching may help release this as well as relaxation techniques....

"selma"
Avatar n tn
Oh ok...thanks for your help....all this is totally new to me!! Also are all those dr up to speed with chiari zero?? I dont have money to waste on going to see one that doesn't mine clearly is only 2-3 mm.

I think I am going to request the thoracic, thats where alot of my pain has developed and when I am standing up, I like twitch there and kinds go sideways. Its better safe than sorry!! I will feel better knowing I dont have cyst there. So there are a few people that have them in just the thoracic region? Is it too early being a month after accident to have a cyst in my thoracic spine??
Avatar n tn
Yeah I really think I need specialist, why is he telling me I am gonna need surgery, didnt they tell u the same thing and u had it for nothing?? How frustrating!!
Hi - my syrinx is actually form C5-T6 (quite a way down the thoracic area) and I did actually have a fracture at T8 which lead to me being MRId (due to me having rib aches/soreness and then they discovered the syrinx and the Chiari 1) .  They said that the syrinx was a little different in that it is bi-lobulated (on the MRI looks like two joined by a central cord between them).  As I have already reported - November MRI shows significant shrinkage since decompression back in July of last year - but it doesn't look like they want to do another MRI just yet (even though I'm scheduled to see the NS in March), so am not sure if its still continuing with the shrinkage (hope so!).  I was told that a syrinx is usually in the Cervical region, rather than the Thoracic region.  Best Wishes.
MG18 uploaded new photos
zomblvr uploaded new photos
May 22
zomblvr joined this community
Welcome them!
May 22