Disability Income
I have been out of work for three years due to the Chiari Malformation.  I am to fatigue to go to work, the headaches are painful etc.,  But I was diagnose this year with the Chiari Malformation which explains a lot of my symtoms which includes my memory lapse, slur speeches at times etc..,

My question is... Has anyone been successful in receiving their Social Security Disability?  

Also, I have schedule another appt. with a different nuerologist who somewhat deals with Chiari.  If this does not work out, I will go to the nearest chiari expert in Henderson or Hendersonville that was recommended to me.

These doctors need to recognize the seriousness of this condition.
Hi Ann....

As far as SSI many with Chiari have gotten their disability insurance approved.May I ask r u under a drs care for the chiari?Is it a chiari specialist?

Most of the questions u will be asked will be regarding the care u r receving and the condition the dr feel u r in.

Unfortunatly, drs r not required to keep up with current treatments and new views on treatments.The little chiari is covered in medical school, most do not remember too much more than that it was covered.

Awareness is needed and there is a walk this Sept......we all can help to get the foucus on this condition.

"selma"

Hey SelmaS
Where is this walk taking place. Please let me know. I totally agree that CM needs to be recongized a lot more than it is in the medical field and in general. Ask me and I will tell you it difinetly is a disability. I have seen and am living with a 20 year old child that has just had her life turned upside down. Instead of living life at that age, going to school, spending time with friends, working all the normal things in life, Chiari and tethered cord have taken that away from her. As she sits in a hospital with pain and the symtoms that occur, I keep praying that my baby makes a close as ppssible to a normal recovery.
Stay strong and keep god in your heart.    
Shane99 started a thread here in the forum it has all the info u should need. The link in Shanes original post is for organizitng a walk....I did add a list of locations where they r already set up.

If u have difficulty in locating the thread let me know.....and all my best to ur daughter.

"selma"