Chiari Malformation Community
Do you agree with Tethered Cord Surgery or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

I was told by someone that Tethered Cord should not be done on adults but on children and teens only. Saying it is not a successful surgery for adults it just means repeat surgeries every six-months to a year. and your back cannot withstand this. It is only a big money making surgery for Neuro-surgeons.

What are your thoughts on this? Dr. Di really thought I should have this done due to my lower symptoms and upper symptoms.  The fact that I already have cerebellar ptosis from where the doctor cut away too much bone in the top and brain pulling down and there is not enough cut out below (too narrow). He said that the cord surgery would be done first to prevent repeat surgeries with the brain bc it is only pulling it further down. (longer story).

So what do you think about TC surgery?

Thanks ahead of time.
Hi....I was told I need this surgery as well...I know that the cord can re-tether as a result of scar tissue.

And that having surgery is not something to do unless it is causing an issue such as how it might be pulling down on the brain stem.....granted, since adults r done growing it is felt that the pulling will subside and that we will have grown accustomed to it...

I wish I could tell u, I had the PFD first and was originally scheduled the other way round...it seems to have been the right choice for me....my NS's told me if TC is a major issue u will know in a short time after surgery...like 6 weeks...u will get worse.

I did not, I still have issues, and I still have a herniation as many do, and y we still have symptoms.For some, the tonsils retract and they have very few symptoms post op.

May I ask what the drs r saying in regard to fixing the  brain slump?

And will that help at all?

"selma"
He said that I needed to have it in order to keep from having repeat surgeries over and over again. He felt it was causing it to fall down further than it is because of the issue with too much being cut away in the prev surgery.  So he felt I needed a surgery for the TC and then the brain - that it needed to be fixed where it is too narrow and where too much was cut out.  Plus not only bc of that but bc of my lower symptoms. They are pretty bad. I can't take them anymore.
I understand the TC is pulling, but even if  the bone was not cut away  in the manor that it was, u would still have pulling...regardless of how much room...or pulling, gravity will pull it down., it needs to be repaired first in MHO...then see if the TC is still an issue.

Sorry, but may I ask who u r seeing?....is it the same dr that did the surgery?

Well I do know u may have repeat surgeries regardless of which option u take...the PFD or the TC bcuz of scar tissue and the re tethering....

Mayb u want to get another opinion....I am not sure I would  want to make a decision with that info and I am sure that is y u r having difficulties deciding.

"selma"
No I saw Dr. Di at CC. I am now going to be seeing Dr. Recinos (going to be a separate post about her here in a few).  The one who did my surgery is at OSU. I will never go back there unless it is the only hospital that will take me in an emergency for various reasons (a ton of reasons).

OIC...well I will take a look at the other post as well.