Chiari Malformation Community
Does Anyone have a Big Bump Below Skull?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

I"m having pain on a big bump below my skull,,just below my neck.....hard to explain,,, ( sorry)
Well, I"ve had that bump for as long as I can remember... it even looks like a deformtiy.. I've had a few drs. over the years ask me what it is.... dah!

I"m wondering if maybe that goes along with the Chiari thing....

Please let me know if anybody has this bump also.... Thank you...

I'd appreciate any comments,, if you do..

Hugs,, Jennie
Its funny you ask that.  My husband says I have a bump near my neck also.  He says at times it is bigger then others.  I have a pretty hard time turning my head to see back there.  He seems to say it is bigger when I am in the most pain.  So I was wondering the same thing.  If you find anything out could you please let me know.  
I have a small mass on the right side of the back of my neck. It is not visible but is easy to feel, the NL and NS say that nothing showed up on the MRI scan and therefore are not concerned. It gets painful at times as well...
I had a bump after my first surgery.  It was a spinal fluid build up, which went away on it's own after a month or so.
My daughter has had a lump on the back of her head since a week after her decomp surgery. Hers is a CSF leak. Her pain is really bad when the lump is bigger. The bulge usually lessens if she is upright for a long period of time. Her CSF leak is believed to be because she is rejecting the dura patch, which also has caused aeseptic meningitis. This was very difficult to figure out because her blood work came back normal. It was only after she continued to feel terrible that they did a lumbar puncture which explained part of why she is in so much pain. Her NS said we should wait and re-MRI her in 6 months. If the fluid is still thre and she continues to be in pain they may have to go in and fix the leak.
If I am correct, Jennie u r asking if neone has the BUMP  B4 surgery...am I right?

I have not had it either way, but just wanted to clarify what i t is u r asking.

"selma"
I"m sorry for not explaining better,,, but yes, selma,, I meant to ask about this big bump that I"ve had for yearsssss..It's located right below my "stingy hole",,, lol. I"m sure you've heardd that term before eh? Well,, its just below that spot that it shows as a big bump,,,something like buffalo hump. and this is before any surgery at all.. It chnages in size depending how pain I have there,,because its swells.
I don't like wearing low cut sweaters or blouses in the back if I can help it,,cause it looks like a deformity to me and also to some drs. who have noticed it,,,also I"ve been asked what it is....and I have no idea why its there...whether or not it has anything to do with Chiari or not.
I hope I make more sense now,,lol.
Hugs,, Jennie
I thought that is what u were looking for and it seems the thread got a bit off track.

I am sorry I have no idea what a "stingy hole" is????

hmmmmmmmm now u have me wondering.

"selma"
selmaS <3 <3 Happy Valentines Day ... Comment
gjjl, and The_beat_goes_on commented on gjjl's status
Feb 10
gjjl I have a leak and now am ha... Comment
Feb 10