Chiari Malformation Community
Does Physio help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Does Physio help?

Is it safe to have physio treatment to help with neck pain etc? My NS has decided that he can just monitor me for now and have another MRI in 3 months as i have no syrinx or hydrocephalus. So now its just a matter of trying to manage the symptoms. Has anyone tried physio? Did you find it helped?
I tried PT for neck problems. It made things worse. I later found articles on line by Chiari Doctors who strongly advise against PT. You should talk to your NS or NL about this. The physiotherapist should know Chiari before they do any therapy on you....

Ray
Hi I have had a physio session as I have scoliosis, 2 cervical disc prolapses, cervical stenosis aswell as chairi but the physio said she won't be able to do major physio because of the risk so I'll literally have gentle neck and back excersisis daily to do myself, I struggle to see how this is going to help as in make a difference cause I've been told I'll always have this. So I guess it depends on what you have, but do your research and make sure the physio knows about chairi, mine didn't have a clue what it was until I told her.
Hi...well I must agree with the other 2 posters on this...make sure the PT knows about chiari and do not let them touch ur neck...which is where the problems r...so not sure what help it might be.

Good luck and do keep us posted : )

"selma"
hey there,
my physiotherapist decided to stop physio. she concluded that i hold my head in a particular position to basically accommodate my stiff neck. since i have adapted this posture she doesnt want to re train my body since i am holding this position for a reason. when i was in physio trying to stand straight made me really dizzy, out of breath and i broke out in hives.
not sure what to tell you other than if it doesnt feel right, dont do it
I find that the less I do, the less neck pain I have.  NO chiropractor for sure!!!  Massages are good for me as long as I don't let them pull on my head to stretch the neck.  Acupuncture seems to help. It seems like the more movement/manipulation with my neck the pain just increases.  If I leave it alone, it seems to improve (doesn't go away, just becomes more tolerable.)

House work for sure makes it worse, but I try to do a little every day so it's not so bad.  I made the mistake of doing my own bikini wax this week and am paying dearly for that one!  Thanks a lot, charming Chiari!  Maybe I didn't notice it the last time because I was in more pain and didn't notice a little extra pain?  Hmmm...  Is my neck getting stiffer?  I can't figure out why so much different now.  :(

Lisa