Chiari Malformation Community
Downside of surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Downside of surgery

Reading these post is both comforting and terrifying. It is hard enough finding a doctor that believes your symptoms are related to chiari and then they perform an operation that seems to make most of us worst. I believe I have a true chiari specialist. He was referred to me by an chiari foundation in Staten Island, NY. Rather, his colleague Dr. Fieldstein of Columbia Presbyterian was. My neurosurgeon is Dr. Anthony Dambrosio of Ridgewood, NJ. He seems to know what he is talking about and sent me for a lot of test to rule out other possible causes. He is the third neurosurgeon I have seen and I also saw two other neurologist in the beginning. So I have had many opinions from maybe I'm just stressed financially (since my older male doctor thought women stress a lot about finances) to its just migraines that will taper off with menopause. Although I know that we are all different, with varied herniations and health issues my concern is why are the results so all over the place. It is crazy to get to the place mentally and emotionally that you put yourself through having your skull cracked open only to do it again and again or feel worst then before. Has anyone used the doctors I mentioned and what was the outcome. I'm starting to seriously rethink surgery.

Hi...yes this is very scary...and some have had bad experiences...sometimes it is due to not knowing that the patient also had other related conditions...it is very important to rule out related conditions and other conditions with similar symptoms....

Tests to rule out similar conditions are for MS, lupus, lymes....these are typical to have done.

Testing for related conditions....sleep apnea, disk issues, tethered cord, ICP, POTS, syringomyelia,ehlers-danlos, CCI,retroflexed odontoid.

It is important that these related issues r looked at b4 surgery is done as it can affect how u feel and heal post op.

Hi Selma,

I was checked for ms and Lyme disease and have had several mri's and loads of blood work done, but I'm not sure if that means my doc checked for all that you mentioned. He just told me besides what I'm facing now that I am very healthy. He thinks my recovery should be a breeze. The next time I speak to him I'm going to ask about those conditions. Thanks

This site is so helpful I'm glad I found it.

U r very welcome. : )