Chiari Malformation Community
Duke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Duke

Has/does anyone see a chiari doctor at Duke University.  I just got awarded medicaid and I am looking for a good Chiari doctor that accepts Medicaid.  I have been seen at TCI but they doen't take WV medicaid as far as I can tell.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance

Hi...I have not heard nething promising about DUKE regarding chiari...sorry.

U may have a different experience or find a diff Dr, but u will have to research the Drs there.

Wish I could offer more info.
I see a Chiari Specialist, Dr. Fuchs, at Duke.
Dr. Bagley at Duke was my neurosurgeon and he was wonderful.  He's very knowledgeable and is very thorough.  I felt comfortable the first time I met him and knew I wanted him to do my surgery.  I originally was hoping to get to Dr. Fuchs but he only works with children now I was told.  Ultimately I think I was in the best hands for my situation.

I am not sure about Medicaid though but hopefully that is helpful.
Dr. Fuchs is doing my decompression surgery this thursday
Dr. Bagley at Duke was my surgeon also. I was referred to him by the head of neuro at Duke. It is also my understanding that Dr. Fuchs mainly works with children with a few exceptions. Dr. Fuchs sees many children with complex brain tumors also and is well loved by his young patients and their families.

Dr. Bagley did my decompression over a year ago. I was and am very pleased with him. He was very knowledgable about Chiari and with the issues I have had in my recovery. He has been very supportive and open to a broad range of treatment options for pain, etc. such as acupuncture and
continues to follow and be available to me as needed.

I have both Chiari and syringomyelia and I am, a year later, pretty much back to normal. I have very few limitations and am very grateful to the skill of Dr. Bagley for this success.

I don't know about the medicaid piece but a quick call to his clinic office at Duke Neurology would settle that.  

I wish you the best of luck!

Jenn
I am a ped. patient so i guess that explains dr. Fuchs but he was great. I loved him and am one week post op and doing great.
Glad to hear you are doing so well! Did you have a decompression for Chiari with Dr. Fuchs?

Do you live in the Triangle? I am only asking because I have two good medical support people to suggest to you if you do.

Jen
Yes i had chiari decompression done by dr fuchs but i do not live close, im about three hours away
Hi Jenn444. My daughter was just diagnosed with chiari. We have an appointment this week at Duke. I could use any info you have about Duke and resouerces in the area.
MG18 uploaded new photos
zomblvr uploaded new photos
May 22
zomblvr joined this community
Welcome them!
May 22