Chiari Malformation Community
Dysphagia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Dysphagia

Does anyone have dysphagia and/or aspiration as their only symptom of Chiar Malformation?
Hello and welcome!  I have dyshagia too but also a host of other symptoms.  Dysphagia can be a symptom of alot of different conditions.  Have you had an MRI yet?  Have you been diagnosed with CM?  

Again, welcome!

Pam
Hello and welcome,

A lot of us do start that way, noticing throat numbness, swallowing difficulties and for me, I had these weird spasms in my throat. It could be that you are one of the lucky ones who got dx'd before they could progress to other symptoms but in a lot of cases, people do have other symptoms but may not have realized they are part of the condition.

As Pam asked, have you been dx'd with Chiari? Or are you looking as it as a possibility due to your symptoms? I encourage you to read through the site and the health pages which should help you as well.

Take care
Carolyn

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I have many of the same questions both Carolyn and Pam already asked....and want to stress that u may have other symptoms but do not recognize them as u have always had them and may consider them "normal"...plus, we also naturally compensate for issues like those and we never consider them symptoms.

Once u learn more about chiari u may realize that u have more and more symptoms than u thought.

We r happy to have u join us, but not happy about the reasons that bring u.

"selma"

"selma"
Actually, it is my 2 year old son that has the swallowing issues.  He has had 4 swallow studies in which he has aspirated thin and thickened liquids.  Fortunately he hasn't had aspiration pneumonia. He doesn't have any issues with regular food but does tongue thrust with purees such as yogurt, applesauce, etc.  He has been diagnosed with Chiari Malformation 1.  We haven't noticed any other symptoms at this point.  No developmental delays, good muscle tone, doesn't complain of headaches or any other pain etc.  Anyways, we have been to many ENTs and GIs who have basically ruled out all other causes for the swallowing problems.  We have scheduled his decompression surgery but are scared that we might put him through the surgery with no results.  I have found a some case reports for people who had CM1 with dysphagia as there only symptom.  I am hoping this is the case for my little guy!
I hope it helps him.  Has to be so hard going through this with your child.  I will keep you both in my prayers.  
As a parent of a Chiari kid, I am so very sorry to hear of your little man having issues.  I am thankful that he is not extremely symptomatic, but having surgery is still very, very hard! (((HUGS)))

I pray that having this decompression now will help prevent further issues in the future!

Blessings,

Rebecca
The_beat_goes_on commented on gjjl's status
gjjl have to have an MRI with a ... Comment
Feb 06
Georgiag111 commented on photo
Feb 06