Electric shock or "Zingers" as I call them
I am 7months post PFD and duraplasty. Still get some pretty intense headaches, numbness and weakness in my left hand, but both are manageable now. All my other pre-op symptoms have disappeared :)
But On and Off for the last few months I have been having an electric shock or a "Zinger" when I turn around or turn my head and occasionally when I stand up after bending or sitting. I feel it in my head and in my entire body. It last literally like one second followed by some dizziness. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this after surgery and not sure if I should call my NS to let him know. Any opinions on what could be causing this?
I have this too sometimes.i dont really think its sth to worry about.but call ur ns if u doubt...its almost a shame we are always so shy asking our doctors...but i mean we had brain surgery!!!!
My left arm is extremly weak and i have tingling in fingers constantly. I just say it must be nerve damage?! Im so tired of drs tho. Call your nl just to be sure they know whats goin on, ok. Good luck. Hope you feel better then me today.

Hi....if it is painful, I would call the Dr...if it is more annoying I would wait to see if it is just ur nerves opening back up and working...they tend to over fire as u heal...and could be what u r experiencing.

Keep a journal of what u r doing when it happens and how often and how severe in pain or intensity the feeling was....this way u can see if it is increasing or diminishing with time.

It is possible to have nerve damage, but at 7 months post op, u r still healing it takes up to 2 yrs for the nerves to heal...so give urself the time.

"selma"
Hm....this is very interesting to me....I get this every couple of months - but I have never had surgery, so maybe it is a different thing...I describe it has a light bulb bursting/camera flash/lightning strike/electric shock that jolts through my entire body, and I can hear it zapping. Generally speaking it doesn't hurt, but I always feel a bit weird afterwards. It happens most often when I am trying to fall asleep (or when I sleep on my stomach with my head to the side...working on breaking that habit because it messes with my HA's...)

I'm not sure of the dizziness, because most of the times it has happened I was lying down with my eyes closed - though the one or two times i was not i do vaguely remember some dizziness....I think...hmmm

Does this sound the same? Not sure, if you have only had it happen after surgery.
Thanks for the replies.
Erratic firing of the nerves makes sense. There have been several "weird" sensations I have had since the surgery, over time they improved or disappeared. This one seems to be sticking around :(
I think I will email Dr. Green's nurse just to let them know and get his opinion. I will post what they say.

Silentsong, what you described sounds almost exactly what I am trying to describe. I also "see" a flash when this happens. Dizziness is probably not the best description but more of a weird feeling after it happens.
Thanks for your input, sorry you are feeling this too but I am relieved that someone else knows how I am feeling! Hope you are feeling better soon :)

I think I know what you mean by it not being dizziness, but at the same time it being dizziness....haha.....I hope you are feeling better. Let us know what your Dr. says!
  i have this and igot after surgery i explain it as putting ur tongue on a 9 volt battery  no one finds the comparison  i take cymbalta cause its the only thing that stops it
I get these "brain zaps" also. I had them pre decompression and still have them 2 years post decompression. They have gotten very bad the past few weeks but I also feel like my head is about to explode.
One thing I wanted to mention is that I also "hear" these zaps and they startle me. Does anyone else hear them? I feel like i am about to lose control....I just can't stand this much longer.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

May I ask what all was done during your decompression? There are a few different ways this surgery can be done.....with and with out opening the dura...

Plus, were ALL related conditions ruled out b4 your surgery?