Flare ups?
Hi! I have been suffering from dizzy spells as well as other symptoms for at least a decade now. I've seen two neurologists who both said that judging from my MRIs I have mild chiari 1. Both also said that it was insignificant and probably not causing my symptoms. After reading your posts I'm guessing they're both misinformed. Anyway, my question is can symptoms from chiairi flare up and then dissipate? If so, has anyone found flare ups to be seasonal? Thanks!

I am not well-versed as far as Chiari malformations, but I have been in the medical field for 30 years.  

If you are still having symptoms, I would suggest getting another opinion, but I would suggest a neurosurgeon evaluate your MRIs to see if you might warrant and be helped with a surgical intervention.

I used to work for a neurosurgeon and I feel that would be your best bet.  I am surprised that one of the neurologists did not at least refer you for an opinion as to your Chiari malformation.

Well, the best of luck to you and take care.....

Hi and welcomr to the Chiari forum.

Yes, Chiari symptoms cycle...they can flare up from how active u r, or the type of activity u participate in, or lack of sleep, stress...so many things...a fall , a bumpy car ride, and a MVA.

MRI's have not been used that long to dx, and medical schools teach that the tonsils herniating or low lying is an inciddential finding and that most with chiari r asymptomatic.....leaving us to wonder what is wrong, and which symptoms r connected to the chiari.

We do have a list of Drs that have sussfully treated the members here, not all r true chiari specialists, and this list is not meant as a referral,. but a means to help u get started researching drs.

Scroll down to the link to the Health Pages...

"selma"
Hi & welcome,
My dizziness & vertigo tend to have flare ups like you've described. When I was younger I would have what I considered bad episodes about twice a year. Those became more random, but the woozy feeling that I was about to get dizzy became more frequent.  Come of my other symptoms (joint pain, weakness in hands, numbness, etc.) come in cycles too but no pattern other than I seem to have them for 2-3 weeks at a time and then they disappear for a couple of months.