Chiari Malformation Community
Hairstyle going in for surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Hairstyle going in for surgery

How did you guys do your hair the day you went in for surgery to keep it from getting tangled? The best would be two braids but you really can't do that since they shave the back part of your hair. My hair is long and thick and gets tangled super easy, I can't stand anyone to brush my hair let alone with an incision.  Dr. Oro said since my hair is so long it will cover the part he shaves, but I am trying to visualize how to do it that morning to keep it from getting tangled and allow him room to do what he needs to do. I really can't think of anything. They will just want it to be down anyways huh?
Hi...it all depends on ur NS and how he wants u to ....I asked about cutting mine and my Dr said no it was easier for him to handle it longer....

My dr tied my hair on top of my head like a water fountain hair do u see on infants...plus my head was wrapped with a ace bandage...my hair was tangled...but, u really r too out of it to notice.....

If u do the hair they will change it to what is best for them to work,....

Didn't u talk to Dr Oro about this?....as I said all dr's r different as to what they prefer .

"selma"
Same for me..I just went in with it long and down and after they put me out..he told me that he pulled it all the way to the top of my head and just shaved the part necessary. As for after...I wish you luck...I have naturally curly hair and for the 1st week after, it looked like a rats nest. Luckily, I was feeling too yucky to go anywhere anyway!!

Carolyn
I have long hair too and didnt want the messiness of dried blood and such afterwards so i decided to get the bottom half of my hair shaved off before surgery. Oh and i donated the hair to Locks of Love (they make wigs for kids with cancer) if my hair is down you cant even tell that the bottom is shaved or see my scar, and after surgery they had it in a loose knot on top of my head. I know this option is not for everyone its just what i did and thought i would share ;) Shannon
i left my hair in a loose ponytail.  when i came out of surgery, they had folded my hair up on top of my head and put it in a "ponytail" with the hairband i had used for my ponytail.  kinda like a bun, but they folded it instead of wrapping it...hard to describe, and it stayed put!  took an act of congress to get the darn thing down when it was FINALLY time to wash it :)  

on the day i was to leave, they handed the hair they had shaved off from the back of my head to me in a ziploc bag.  i suppose if i wanted to donate it.  didn't really think about it at the time tho.  the nurse said they weren't allowed to throw it away, but i wished to, i could toss it.
cristina
I went in with my hair down knowing my NS was going to braid it himself.When I woke up I remember my sister was laughing and said I hope his surgical techniques were better than his braiding! I had three braids on each side of my head. Everyone that came to see me told me they loved the braids!LOL!!
Best of luck!!
Selma- now girl you know I didn't ask that doctor any ?'s LOL

That is a good idea to donate it- my husband is Native American and in his culture you only cut your hair when someone dies, you braid it and keep it,  I know I am not dieing  but maybe I will see what he says what to do with it. I asked today at my appt. and they said just keep it down. SO, I will, boo, and deal with the tangles. Shoot, I don;t even care know what it looks like really LOL- I just hate brushing it when it gets tangled like that, and I can imagine the pain of having an incision right there. She did say too only baby shampoo for a month. I guess I will just have to figure it out. It;s almost tempting to just shave all of it and start over, see what grows out. I mean, how many chances do you get to shave your hair with an excuse? LOL
....-now girl u know I have Chiari and I forget stuff too : )

haha...yeah, but I also figure if neone else is reading the thread they will know to ask either at the appointment or call up and ask later....lol...

So, only when someone dies in the Native American culture...may I ask y?...what is the feeling behinf that?....

I have heard many do what they want with their hair.....some shave it, but I am still waiting for mine to grow back in....it can take a while...my hair does not behave when short...it gets all frizzy.

I am glad u got some answers : )

"selma"
you know I really don't know why- I think it's because their hair is their culture, and you cut it as a show of respect.

Ugh- my hair is frizzy anyway- there is really good Paul Mitchell serum but it is 20.00, but at walgreens you can get this spray serum which is almost as good, and not as thick as the reg. serum. I have to use it daily otherwise my hair is a mess LOL
I have to say...the part of my hair that has grown back in from being shaved is soooo nice and soft (compared to the rest of my hair that feels like straw). I am thinking maybe I should have shaved it all off?? Mind you I have very curly hair and I could see it coming back in an afro..lol..

Carolyn
What's funny for me is the area they will be shaving is the area that gets tangles the most- I almost feel like shaving it all just to see how it will grow back. What am I thinking? I am not Brittney, I cannot afford wigs and extensions LOL But I look at ya'll pix and even though the Dr. said my top hair will cover it I am not sure of a strip in the back shaved off.

Please don't take this conversation as I am only worried about my hair, I'm not. It's just a lighthearted conversation. :)
I went in with mine just down, I think they tied it out of the way for the surgery once I was under, but I woke up with it down only with the dressing underneath at the back.

They definitely shaved less than I thought they would of mine - just a small strip, maybe 6" x 2".  Mine was shoulder-length, straight, and very fine, and you couldn't really tell there was any shaved...so if yours is long, it'll probably be invisible.  I found the best way to wash it afterward was lean forward, part hair down the back and hold a folded washcloth over the dressing, have someone help in the bathtub, and wash using a cup to pour water over the rest of your hair.  Baby shampoo, conditioner if needed, then something light leave-in spray like Infusium 23 to detangle (don't want to be yanking on knots!)  Two loose braids might be good afterward if you want it not-down, but you won't want to raise your arms for very long for a couple of weeks.

Must warn you, though, any future zipperheads - for me at least, getting my hair washed in the usual salon-sink way, even months afterward...hurts!  Mostly hard on the neck, not so much the incision site.  Warn your stylist and at least have them pad the sink rim with towel and wash quickly but gently.
Great advice- my 9-yr old will love helping me wash my hair- who knoew brain surgery could be a bonding experience!
Denverluv...light hearted conversations is soo needed sometimes..I know it puts a smile on my face.
No one could even tell that I had the back of my head shaved, I would tell ppl that yes I had done the surgery and they would kind of give me this crazy look...I have even been asked by the nosier ones exactly where they did it.

Zippyjo...the general rule with Chiari either pre or post op is to avoid the salon sinks. I know having my head in that position just for a short while causes major headaches for me. Some salons will have ones that you can bend over forward instead of tipping your head back. Not that I would know...my hair takes the backseat in my life, I dye it myself and get it cut maybe twice a year!!

Carolyn
lol....bonding experience ....yeah wait, u and DH will deff be doing things u never thought....
mine washed my hair....and helped me with more things then I care to share on a public forum...and more than he did for our DD when she was an infant...no, not change diapers...lol...I am not that bad off....but, there r areas u may require some help shortly after surgery...accept it...and allow ur self to heal.

But bonding experience...yeah I guess u can call it that : )

BYW-  on the issue on hair...mine was left on either side of my head while the entire back was shaved...I felt like a cocker spaniel.....

Do get a brimmed hat to keep the sun off the incision area as the skin is over sensitive and is still healing : )

"selma"
I love reading these!  This is all great advice and stuff that I have been wondering about myself. I especially had to laugh about Selma's comment about her husband having to do all kinds of things...I've been wondering about how I will get some things taken care of...I guess hubby will be very busy.  I'm blessed that he is an EMT so medical/personal things don't bother him too much.  (We'll see about that after my recovery-stay tuned -LOL).
Along these lines, I have a basic question for everyone:  how on earth do you lay on your back (with that fresh incision on your head against the pillow) when you're in the hospital following surgery?  Is it numb?  
Just wondering.
I am also having my surgery on Tuesday.  I just got my hair cut to about chin length, so the top layer should just about cover the incision in the back, I hope.  It is a whole lot cooler in this hot weather...there's a plus. I bought some bobby pins and pony tail bands to help keep things out of the way afterwards.
I am glad I was able to amuse u...that was my intent with that post : )

ummmm...u lie on ur side...and rotate from ur left to ur right...u do not lie flat on ur back,the nurses use a blanket rolled up to put behind u to keep u from rolling on ur back.

I was impressed oh how well gauze strips held my hair in a pony tail...and there was no pulling and was easy to put in and remove : )

"selma"
Selma- I just cracked up! :) :) :) A cocker spaniel.

SOOOO- we should also get a body pillow too? I kinda like this, excuses to pamper me yay!

I never cut my hair either :( no one ever cuts it right so whay pay the money LOL I spent 150 a few months ago for highlights and now I am like- gee what a waste. I can't beleive I did that. I will never spent that kind of mney on my hair again.

Yessssssssss, is there something wrong with that?...lol....every time it grows I feel like a cocker spaniel...yikes...such a diff in levels going on...I am now, with this last hair cut....within an inch of each level.....if I were to cut it all the same it would frizz...and then I would look lke a poodle......

A body pillow would be very helpful.....

"selma"
Oh my gosh you are too funny :)  NO! There is nothing wrong with that! You are cracking me up!
Me funny...nah...it is all the truth : )
Yeah...well now that mine's growing back...it is starting to curl up at the back and every time I put it up...there are these wings poking out the side...NOT attractive..

I am tempted just to shave it again...after all it was a popular style in the 90's!!!
NOTHING COMPARES TO YOUUUUUUU lol
Oh I remember that stage....I felt like such a schlep.....