Hand Tremors
Are hand tremors a symptom of my chiari? I had a decompression 2 weeks ago and I still have the tremors. Is this normal or will it eventually go away?
I had hand tremors also, but shortly before surgery I blacked out and fell down a flight of stairs and they stopped my ns said it was most likely because when I hit my head I changed where the pressure was being mostly applied to my brain. Before me falling down the stairs he told me they would go away with the surgery but some symptoms would take longer than others to go away.
I developed hand tremors after my slip and fall accident that made my Chiari more symptomatic. I've had them for about 9 months now. They started along with my other neuro symptoms, so I assume they're related.
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It is possible the tremors r from chiari, and again, they could be from the meds from the surgery.

As we heal, we can develop new symptoms, or old ones can annoy us again....but we r told it is part of the healing process.

And what none of us want to hear, it could be an after effect of surgery.....

Give it some time to see where this goes.

"selma"
I've had hand tremors for as long as I can remember - way b4 I was diagnosed with Chiari or my surgery. They went away for a few weeks post surgery but returned. It varies in the amount of shaking - seems to be related to my level of tiredness. Tremors also seem to be the first indicator of a period of time when I get lots of Chiari symptoms back.
This is the same thing that has happened to my son! His hands are more shaky in the mornings and when he is sick or stressed. Occasionally when he's completely relaxed, they will be almost normal. They only tremor when he uses them, like to eat or drink or write, not at rest. We first became aware of the tremors when he was 4. He had surgery at 9 years old, and they went away briefly. Looking back, I now think that was due to the anesthesia in his system. They were back within a few weeks. Now, he's 16 and they're unchanged. Sometimes worse than others. I have tried sending him to OT to see if strengthening the small motor muscles will help, but he never stuck with the exercises long enough to be sure. His grip strength tested in the normal range, even from the start. It's so frustrating to me.
I'm had my surgery a couple of weeks ago and I still have tremors in my left leg above my ankle and right arm above my elbow. It's more like a muscle vibrations than tremor but I think it's the same thing. My NS said that sometimes it take neuro-pathic symptoms longer to heal.