Chiari Malformation Community
Headache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Headache

I had my surgery 10/18/2011. I have not been headache free a single day since. Some days the headaches are better than others but they are never gone. I go to physical therapy once every other week. This helps with preventing the really bad headaches. I am just tired of being in pain. I take ultram, robaxin, xanaflex, and butterbur. I have two injections to help with the pain. These have never helped. Although once it did take away my dizziness. I have three little ones under the age of 8. I am a part time nurse and my family depends on my income. I go on everyday like nothing is wrong. But it is wrong I am in pain, I am tired, I am just not the person I used to be.. I just wish I could go back to the time when I wasn't sick. Sorry I guess I needed to vent. I did want you to see that you are not alone. I try to have hope. My neurologist says he has been able to solve these headaches post decompression surgery in about a dozen pts. Only one time was he not able to help a pt. I have hope but it is hard. It is lonely. Thanks for listening. Does anyone else have these daily headaches? I've been told they are muscle related, or chronic migraines.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum,

I have to ask if u were checked for related conditions b4 u had ur PFD surgery? The underlying condition may be causing u to have HA's.....r they the same type u had b4 surgery ir r they different?

And is ur NS a true Chiari specialist?....

Have u had a MRI post op? What do u do on a daily basis? With ur job do u have to do heavy lifting and how long r u back to work...u may be doping too much, our bodies have a way of letting us know.

There r many questions, I am sorry but to better understand what u r going thru and options it is helpful to know a little more.

I had surgery 3.5 yrs ago and am doing pretty good, outside of related issues....I am on TOPAMAX to help with HA's and it does help....

Did / do u do neck exercises to help keep ur muscles from getting tight and prevent the formation of scar tissue.

Know u r not alone...we r here : )

.....
You are not alone it has been almost two years for me and still have headache everyday. After my decompression I had a fusion of c5c6 and then I was dx with occipital neuralgia.. The only thing that has helped besides pain management is chiro and acupuncture. I am a pediatric OT and also work part time but somedays it is hard to pretend I don't hurt so much. Many of us that get decompressed get occipital neuralgia from the surgery. I hope that yours go away but as you figure out what is going on know your not alone. I too have 2 children hard to get it all done. Luckily I married a saint who helps me beyond words. I wish you the best and hang in there.
Thank you both for your response. It is so nice to know I am not alone.

I want to clarify these Headaches are completely different than before. Plus I have been relieved of other debilitating symptoms such as a foggy mind, extreme fatigue, random tingling, ect. Although my NS was not a specialist he did a wonderful job and he is a wonderful doctor. I would recommend him to anyone. I have had a negative MRI post op. Anyone that knows about nursing knows there is heavy lifting. Plus being a mom of three little ones I can only stop so much. My life must go on. I know I need to do my exercises more. Thanks for reminding me.  I went back to my neurologist today. He added a drug, did a different injection, and has but in a referal to chapel hill. He has asked me to continue to have hope so I will. Thanks again for helping know I am not alone.
Ball123 commented on photo
Ball123 commented on photo
Antere added the Exercise Tracker