Chiari Malformation Community
Help Please!?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Help Please!?

I'm a 20 year old female who is just wanting some answers!

About 3 or 4 year ago I had an MRi scan and the drs told me that i had a mild case of Chiari Malformation - but that wasn't what was causing what was wrong with me at the time.
Then, 6 months ago i was attacked while out on an afternoon jog, and beat around the head with a baseball bat. Since the attack i was getting a lot more headaches, and they were becoming a lot harder to get rid of. My neck was also incredibly sore.

About a month ago i could not get rid of the headache. My eyes were becoming blurry throughout the day (when the headache was at its worst i found) and my neck was still quite sore. Since then, my symptoms have gotten worse;
- ongoing headache
- stabbing pains behind eyes
- blurred vision
- feeling as though my head will explode when i cough, sneeze and sometimes laugh
- passing out
- incredibly sore neck
- dizziness
- vomiting
- pins and needles in feet
- 'dead' left arm and tingling in left hand
- loss of feeling in left side of face

I was sent for a CT, which was clear, and saw a neurologist in Perth who also sent me for an MRI. The results for the MRI have come back clear as well and now i feel as though i am back in box one. The specialist has said i am not to return to work until I am better - but i don't know how long this is going to be for!

I don't understand how i had the Chiari in one scan, then years later it's gone? Can it just go away? Is it possibly that i do have chiari and it just isn't showing on a scan?

Any help, suggestions, feedback would e greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys,

Bronte

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I do not know if u can get copies of ur MRI, but that is where it may be good to start...the old one as well as the new one.

Many Drs do not recognize Chiari and will say it is clear as they have no idea that it is more then an incidental finding. Was this the Same Dr u saw that gave u the DX?

So it is doubtful that the MRI was clear, just that they do not recognize Chiari and how it can and does affect us.

An injury such as being hit in the head or a fall  or a MVA can trigger symptoms....so it is no wonder u have more intense symptoms after that episode. It sounds like a very frightening experience and I am so sorry u had to go thru that.

We do have a list of Drs that u can use to research Drs in ur country....here is a link to the Health Pages...http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186
I want to say welcome to the forum and sorry you have to be here...
I also feel so sorry that you were attacked, I can't imagine what you went through. as selma stated there are so many drs who do not  understand Chiari and I was also told my several neurologists before finding a chairi specialist that it was not the cause of my headaches, I would recommend trying to find a specialist. I had just about all of the symptoms you have and was begining to feel as though I was going crazy.
Please keep us updated and let us know your progress
I am 20 and found out a year ago I had Arnold chiari after falling down and hitting my head. My doctor said I have always had it but the hit to my head kinda brought it forward. I have been dealing with it but the past four days I have ad a headache I can't get rid of that feels like my brain is being squeezed my mom and every one else says its a sinus headche but I have no sinus symptoms or cold I feel pain in my eyes and my ears feel like thers something in them and I keep hearing a ringing noise this is by far the worst headache I have had and it won't go away I also get very tired when I have these headaches. I am also searching for help answers and an understanding of this topic.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It is possible to have a sinus issue along with Chiari as it is in close proximity to where the herniation is and with all the area being tight from compression it is not uncommon for us to also have sinus issues....that said, it may be the chiari itself as season changes can make how we feel much worse.

After finding ur herniation, did u have other testing to rule out related conditions like  syringomyelia (syrinx), tethered cord, ICP, POTS, Ehlers-Danlos, sleep apnea, or if u have an obstruction to CSF?

Many times it is the related conditions causing more issues then the herniation and there are far too many Drs that do not feel  this condition will cause us the issues it does.

We do have a list of Chiari Drs for u to use to research.....see the health Pages -http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186
A CT scan may be clear (mine was), while an MRI will show Chiari. Ask your Dr to do an MRA of the brain with contrast on a 3T or better MAI machine. The different findings are not at all unusual as these two tests. Lisa :-)