Help dealing with out of control nerve pain!
I had my right knee replaced ten days ago. I have been dealing with some of the worst nerve pain I have ever had!! I had my other knee replaced last year and the nerve pain was nothing compared to this. I have a tethered cord with many surgeries in the low back which caused a great deal of scar tissue and nerve damage. I also have periverial neuropathy and some small nerve fiber neuropathy. Any ideas how to help calm those nerves asap? I have tried pain meds, muscle relaxers, lidocaine patches, cold packs, heat packs, relaxation, and prayer. A lot of it is sciatica. Then there is the normal pain from the knee replacement.open to ideas.
The only thing that helps with nerve pain is nerve meds like Gabitril, Valium, Xanax, ect. Even they are not 100% effective but they do give some relief. They also help with the spasms. Talk with your dr about which one would be best for you. Neurontin is also a nerve med but I didn't put it up as helpful because it caused me to be suicidal. Not everyone has that reaction though. Best wishes, Sissie
Sorry for your pain.  I take valium if I can't take any more pain meds, or if it's the middle of the night.

As far as I remember, neurontin takes awhile to work, and you have to build up the dose, but it is usually effective.
Thanks for the ideas. I do take Neurotin and Cymbalta already and like one of you said, adding in Valium especially if its in the night. Here's hoping  this bad flare subsides soon!

Hi.... I am so sorry u r having so much pain...and I am sorry we didn't have a Prayer Thread for ur knee surgery.....so I am sending good vibes and healing MoJo ur way now as well as prayers for a smoother recovery <3

As for the pain, since u have TCS it is possible that this side is affected more by it and the way u walk putting more weight on the other side could be irritating it more ....it just may be until ur knee heals a bit more and u can balance out the weight till u will feel better....sorry, wish I could offer other suggestions.

Do consider posture....Feldenkrais may help as u heal.
As you're already taking it, would upping the neurontin help?