Chiari Malformation Community
Help!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Help!!

I had a MRI done of my neck and in the findings it said Chiari Morphology can anyone tell me how serious it might be? The Neurologist didn't mention it to me I just got the findings paper and saw it. I looked it up online and have several of the symptoms it seems. Any info on it would be very helpful. Thanks!!
Hi and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you found out this way like many others.
You should seek a neurologist or neurosurgeon who specializes in this. It as good you are being your own advocate with your health, stay on top of those dr.s and make sure they follow through with care plans.
Know your conditions so you can make other dr.s aware of your condition as well. You also need a diagnosis, even though your report says that, that doesn't mean they will say it is symptomatic which may be why your dr didnt say anything.
there is a lot of info on this forum on dr.s that may be close to where you live as well as symptoms and other info found and posted.
You are not alone, feel free to post anytime you need to just even talk with someone : )   Stacey
First off, I assume you mean Chiari malformation not morphology :) Many doctors do not think that Chiari is a serious condition and brush it off as an incidental finding. May I ask what symptoms you are having? The first step for you now is to find a doctor that is a Chiari expert. We do have a list on here of doctors that members have liked, just keep in mind that this is not a referral it is just a starting point for your research. Treatment options will really depend on how severe your symptoms are. Sorry if this is not helpful, do you have any specific questions I can help answer for you?

Wishing you the best :)
Sara
I found this list of syptoms (symptoms) online and these are the ones I have. General & Cognitive Symptoms

These include poor sleep (insomnia), fatigue.
Respiratory, Heart & Abdominal Symptoms

Effects of the CM on the respiratory and cardiovascular systems can cause shortness of breath, chest pain, episodes of rapid heart rate (tachycardia), black out spells, and hypertension. Abdominal symptoms may include nausea, abdominal pain, or vomiting.

Numbness

Tingling, numbness, or pins and needles sensation often occur in the same areas as the pain. Numbness can progress over months to years and involve the lower extremities and trunk. These symptoms are usually more noticeable if a person has a syringomyelia (also called syrinx).

Pain

Persons may complain of neck or arm pain. Often the pain is worse with exertion, fatigue, or lifting. The pain may be dull and aching, or shooting and stabbing. It is usually present or worse on one side. Along with pain, some patients experience weakness of the hand or arm, or difficulty with fine movements of the fingers. If syringomyelia is present, the pain may be more widespread.

Difficulty Swallowing & Hoarseness

People with CM-I may develop difficulty swallowing (dysphagia), either with liquids or solid foods, or a feeling of "catching" in the throat when attempting to swallow. The progression of dysphagia may be rapid and result in aspiration (inhaling fluid or food products into the lungs). Change in voice character and timber are common complaints. Hoarseness is often noted first by a family member or friend. Some patients report the inability to modulate voice when singing or speaking loudly.

Dizziness flickers of light and headaches sometimes.
Since you are having so many symptoms I would definitely find a good Chiari doctor. It will be a very long journey and you will really have to fight for the best care and what you believe is best for you! I have had so many doctors tell me that I am making all of my symptoms up, that they don't exist, or that there is nothing they can do. I have had to fight for the best care every step of the way. Good luck with your journey and make sure to ask any and all questions that you may have!

Sara
I go back to my regular DR. on the 24th I was trying to decide if I should talk to him about it. I have been having some serious problems going on 7 years and I am very worried I have always thought it was my heart or something or that maybe I was loosing my mind until I had that mri done and I saw the thing about chiari. Should I mention it to my Dr?
Thanks so much for all yalls help!!!
I put some pictures up of my neck mri if anyone knows what to look for to help me give my Chiari a number take a look!! Thanks.
I would for sure mention it to your regular dr! Hopefully he or she will be willing to help you figure out the next step, even if they are not as helpful as you would like they should still know about this. Just keep in mind that your doctor most likely has never even heard of Chiari, and if they have they will probably say that it is just an incidental finding and not causing any of your symptoms. I hope this is not the case for you, but sadly that is what many of us hear. I looked at your MRI, but I can't make heads or tails of it either :) Do you have the report from the radiologist? If not make sure you get it! Keep all of your test results, imaging and any other doctor reports in a folder so that you have everything!

I would lilke to tell you that a doctor is all the difference.  Mine was found on accident.  By a doctor doing a CAT scan and he sent me to UT in knoxville.  The listened and so ddi my primary care.  So even if your primary cary can't help do keep him in the loop and make sure he gets a copy of everything they do to you.  So that way he does know what is giong on and not flying blind as they say.
These are the FINDINGS from my MRI of my Cervical Spine any info would be great.

There is straightening to mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis presumably positional. Alignment at the cranial cervical and cervicothoracic thoracic junction is anatomic. There is no cervical fracture or listhesis. There is relatively diminution of fatty marrow signal throughout the cervical spine felt to be within normal limits for patient age and gender.  Cervicomedullary junction is normal. There is Chiari morphology. Cervical spinal cord demonstrates normal caliber and signal.

The C2-3, C3-4 AND C4-5, C5-6 AND C6-7 discs are all normal. There is no degenerative facet or ligamentum flavum change at any level. There is no spinal stenosis at any cervical level. Prevertebral soft tissues are normal.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I am glad u joined us here and as u can see there r many more like u with similar issues...

We do have a list of Drs that members here have been to and liked, it is not a referral or endorsement, just a list for u to use as a tool to research Drs....

Were u in a MVA?

No I have never been in a MVA.

I wondered bcuz of the loss of cervical lordosis, it can sometimes be the result of having whip lash....as the reports states it may be from the way u hold urself...my one NL suggested I try Feldenkrais to help with posture....I have yet to understand the books I found on it and there r no classes near me to take...so it may be something u can look into.
Has anyone elses Chiari Malformation even been called a Morphology? I am trying to get all the info I can and learn all I can before I go back to the Dr. and tell him about it. So any info would be helpful I also posted some pictures of my neck mri so if you could take a look and tell me how bad it looks that would be great!!

It just may be that particular radiologist's way of reporting...not sure, but I have heard of other odd ways of reporting it.....

I would not worry about the wording and what they r able to offer to do about it..are they chiari specialist and have the experience to rule out ALL related conditions....