Chiari Malformation Community
History of myself and daughter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

History of myself and daughter

Recently, my daughter has been experiencing severe headaches, vomiting, weakness in limbs, tingling in fingers, shoulder pain, hip pain.  This came on very quickly 6 months ago.  She is 35 years old.  She has been in the emergency room 4-5 times.  The symptoms go away and return for no reason.  They don't really know so she has been diagnosed with complex migraines.  I am trying to research Chiari because of her condition and mine.
I am a 57 year old woman that has had a shunt for hydrocephalus since I was 23 years old.  I have experienced many problems due to shunt infections.  When I was diagnosed, MRI's were not common or even invented. ?  Therefore, I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri (false tumor of the head).  I've had 24 spinal taps.  My opening pressures were usually around 300-350 after drawing enough off the day before to normal.  
Both of us experience neck pain and if i strain or laugh too much, I get a severe headache even with my shunt.  
I am trying to find a Chiari Expert or Specialist that we both can go to locally.  We live in Raleigh NC.  I really don't want to go to Duke because my insurance won't cover it but I will to help my daughter.  I would really like for an expert to evaluate both of us.  I need your input if you know of an expert in North Carolina or surrounding states.  Thank You for your help.    

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I am glad that u too want to have more testing, as u mentioned MRI's were not always around to help get a dx or a correct one and now they they r, there r far too many Drs that do not really know how to look at Chiari and then consider it an incidental finding.

There is a Dr Rosner in NC....and if u want to go to MD there is a Dr Henderson....both r considered Chiari Drs....we have a list of Drs members went to and liked...but the list is not a referral u need to use the list as a means to research the Drs and find the right one for u and ur DD and it may not be the same Dr...but if they consult one another that would be great....see a few Drs and go with the one u r most comfortable and u feel have the most experience with Chiari...big named institutions r not always the way to go....look at the Drs instead.

U will find the list float on this first page or the 2nd...or use this link to the Health  pages for that list and more helpful info and tips -http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186